Wednesday

RIGID time

Don't let your Quiet Time get rigid, Time with God
Rules for a good marriage:
Each morning:
1. Study husband’s love letters 15 minutes.
2. Talk to husband 15 minutes, making sure to praise him before giving him a list of your needs.
3. Forget about him until tomorrow morning.

Absurd?

But that’s the way I have sometimes approached my quiet time with the Lord…fulfilling my duty like cleaning out a drawer. Do you ever have this mind set?

Several things contribute to this "duty mentality," but one is our tendency to become too rigid.

Some books/teachings encourage rigid ways of meeting with God, but I’ve found that changing things out keeps a freshness and excitement in my times with the Lord.

From time to time, I try something new...a new Bible version, a new devotion or study guide, a different time of day. Even a new journal helps.

Don't let your times with God become rigid--try something new today!*

*It's good for marriage too : )



  
Don't miss this week's marriage post: Why Did You Marry Your Husband?




 

2 comments:

  1. Gail, as always, you have written truth in a captivating way. And it fits perfectly with a book I am reading "The Me I Want to Be" by John Ortberg. I laughed out loud when he said Jesus didn't journal! :) Thank you, Gail, for faithfully and creatively encouraging us toward God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You captured my interest!! I haven't read books that make my quiet time rigid for some reason. But it is always good to keep it fresh. I was hungry for God's Word and reading through the Bible a few years ago a couple times a year. I did this for about two years and slowed down to meditate on what I was reading. That worked for a season but wouldn't be good on a regular basis. The other day I just studied one verse that took me through the day.

    I'd love to read more ideas you might have. It is always refreshing to exchange what we are learning.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...