The F-Word - God Expects Christians To Have Wholesome Speech

The F-Word - Ephesians 4:29, bad language
Have a 1-minute devotion like this delivered to your email each weekday. Sign up for a free subscription to 1-Minute Bible Love Notes HERE or at the bottom of the devotion.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The casual use of bad language is a sign of the coarsening of our culture." Katie Couric 

Television personality Katie Couric talks about the day the piped-in music at her gym included the F word in the lyrics. Shocked, she looked around; but no one else blinked an eye.

“The more our culture uses curse words, the less shocking it is when we hear them. Because they're no longer shocking, people use them more and more.”*

Ephesians 4:29, bad language, the F-word, speaking like a ChristianIn Eastern Europe, we've sometimes had conversations with people who've laced every sentence with profanity. They aren't being rude, but they’ve learned their English from American movies and assume we all talk that way. 

And many Christians, especially younger ones, think nothing of dropping a curse word or two into a conversation. They aren’t aware that God wants to be Lord of our speech.

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths…Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking" (Ephesians 4:29; 5:4).

So let's make sure the words of our mouth are pleasing to our Lord 
(Psalm 19:14).

Here's a few other passages that command we use godly speech: 
Colossians 3:8Colossians 4:6;   Matthew 15:11
*Women's Day: Katie Couric on Cursing in Public

Sign up below for a free subscription. Have a 1-minute devotion delivered to your email each weekday. Be sure to validate the Feedburner email sent to your inbox after you subscribe. Your subscription won't begin until you do this. Your email address will never be used for any purpose except this subscription. 1-Minute Bible Love Notes is an ad-free ministry site.


After signing up, you'll be sent a FEEDBURNER email. Click link in that email to start your subscription.

Enter your email address

16 comments:

  1. I have been on myself very hard lately to watch what I say! Thank you for writing this, loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. stress has a way of increasing the likelihood of cursing,(I'm speaking for myself) not to mention the environment you're around, military, "myself former prison official" Point is I know better, but its too easy for some to sound to holier than thou. granted I can't stand to hear it come from music,(its garbage) which is so disturbing, there is no reason for it. Right on Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! Ephesians 4:29 is one of my favorite scriptures about unwholesome talk. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gail, the ease with which people swear these days does freak me out a little. I think I will be more concerned when it doesn't bother me anymore. Great reminder to keep our speech clean.
    God bless my friend
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an excellent post. In the mid-to-lat sixties (ok, so I'm dating myself) I was in a British Governement school where the profanity was so coarse that I could hardly stand it. I don't know where they had learned it because TV at the time was limited to after 5pm and not on all Saturday. I do remember that the British programs were coarser than the Americans. It used to be that a man would curb his tongue around a woman, but not anymore. Many people do not even realize that they are saying anything offensive as they have become so accustomed to speaking with curse words laced throughout.

    You are so right that many Christians do not realize that this is wrong and I think this post gently instructs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gail, we were just talking about this! My husband said that when he was in high school, {OK, it's been a few years!} the locker room and sports field were the 'swear zones', and the guys would never think to swear in front of a girl. {Not that that made it acceptable!} Now, the girls are just as coarse as the guys. It seems that the standard is set so low, few even recognize their speech as unacceptable. Thanks for the reminder of God's perspective on the words we use.
    Blessings to you ~ Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I agree that we live in a world where beauty has been lost in a world of darkness and despair and where even our words bring glory to the enemy of our souls! Over via Unite.
    Much love XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, this is true. However, your description is beautiful. Thank you for sharing your insight. God bless you.

      Delete
  8. I think this is a generational thing. Young men apologize to me if they swear around me, because I don't. But, young women, apparently, think it's ok. I once had a young man apologize to me, in advance, about a kareoke song he was about to perform. Then, he came over afterwards to see if I'd survived. "It's not that I haven't heard those words before," I told him. "It's that I've never heard anyone sing those words."

    ReplyDelete
  9. The F word and others are crude, however the ubiquitous and flippant OMG ought to be even more repulsive to lovers of God. Curses may be coarsening our culture by spreading filth on the surface, but OMG cuts right to the heart by offending God and minimizing him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many use "OMGoodness" doe just this reason!

      Delete
  10. ~~~WHEN I FIRST GOT SAVED IN '73, FOR FOUR FULL YEARS I DID NOT SWEAR, THEN I STARTED OUT OF MARITAL STRESS, MY HUSBAND DID NOT SWEAR 4 FOUR YEARS TOO UNTIL I STARTED AND HE STARTED, HE WAS UPSET WITH ME, AND I NEED TO ASK GOD FOR HELP.~~~AND STOP.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our country and culture has become more godless and secular and less God fearing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As a child I saw a sign posted above the doorway to a tire shop that said, "Profanity is a sure sign of a small mind trying to express itself in a big way".

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...