Enjoying Divinely Inspired Metaphors That Describe Our Lord

Take a moment to ponder the wonder and beauty of these 7 Divinely Inspired descriptions of Christ.

The Gospel of John records seven “I Am” statements Christ used to define Himself. 

Bible scholars tell us that Christ used these statements to proclaim His essence, sharing different aspects of His divine nature. He wanted us to understand His character in ways that are unique and “particularly pivotal to His ministry.”(1) 

1. I am the bread of life – John 6:35, 48, 51. 
He feeds us and sustains us spiritually (Matthew 4:4). 
See Understanding Why Christ Is the Bread of Life.

2. I am the light of the world – John 8:12; 9:5.
He shows us truth, bringing light into the darkness (John 1:1-9). 
See 8 Truths About the Light of the World.

3. I am the door of the sheep – John 10:7-9.
He is the only door to heaven (Acts 4:12). 
See False Teachers Always "Climb Over the Wall."

4. I am the good shepherd – John 10:11-14.
He lovingly cares for us (Psalm 23). 
See Can You Hear the Shepherd's Voice?

5. I am the resurrection and the life – John 11:25.
His resurrection took us from death to life (1 Peter 1:3-5). 
See Jesus Made an Important I Am Statement and Asked a Life-and-Death Question.

6. I am the way, the truth, and the life – John 14:6.
His path leads to truth and life (Proverbs 3:5-6). 
See Don't Lose Your Way, Fall for Lies, or Choose Anything Less than Life!

7. I am the true vine – John 15.
“For in him we live and move and have our being.” Acts 17:28 
 
Christ had divine purposes for making these specific "I Am" statements about Himself. These beautiful metaphors help us understand our Lord and Savior and His earthly and eternal purposes in our lives. Let's ponder them prayerfully and carefully.

💙💙💙💙

(1) Resources confirming the importance of the "I Am" statements:
CrosswalkChristianity.com, Bible Study Tools. I am deeply concerned that the popular mini-series, The Chosen, has created an "I Am" statement that Christ never made—an "I Am" statement that does not accurately define His divine nature. This goes far beyond artistic license and is a warning to believers to guard our hearts and be like the Bereans (Acts 17:10-12). This is not the first error in the script of The Chosen, but it is the most serious thus far. See: Why Scripture Refutes The Chosen's "I Am the Law of Moses" Statement.
 
💙💙💙💙

https://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Life-Devotional-One-Minute-Reflections/dp/1087775760

I encourage you to check out the Wisdom for Life Devotional. It contains 100 one-minute devotions to challenge, encourage, instruct, and inspire your love for God's Word. Read the story behind Wisdom for Life HERE. And find out about the two free Bible studies with purchase HERE. You can read the first four devotions in the book by clicking "look inside" or "read sample" on Lifeway or Amazon. To find out where you can order it in the UK, Canada, Australia, South Africa, and the Philippines, see It's Not for the Money.
 
I also encourage you to sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes and get a free e-booklet. Find out more HERE.
 
Take a moment to ponder the wonder and beauty of these 7 Divinely Inspired descriptions of Christ.



Bible Love Notes

2 comments:

  1. Hi Gail. Thanks for all your teachings. I was studying theology at College of the Open Bible(diploma in theology) and the Chancellor there, Dr Arthur Bellanger, kept calling me after every other assignment I turned in and told me I was too advanced for the program. He even apologized several times for calling so much. I pulled out half way through the program( all A's to that point) and applied for my Master's in Theology at DTS(partially thanks to you) and got accepted. However, I cannot afford it. Do you feel going for your Master's without an undergrad degree was a good move?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sjoez,
      I'm glad that you have benefited from Bible Love Notes. That's always a blessing to hear.

      I'm not sure how to answer you about seminary training. In some ways I'm very grateful for my seminary experience as it helped me to handle God's Word accurately, but my personal study of God's Word has been more beneficial overall that my seminary training. We don't need a degree to share God's Word accurately and there are lots of free ways to grow deeper in our knowledge of God and His Word.

      Sometimes a ministry position requires a degree, and if you feel called to one of those positions, then getting a degree may be necessary.

      So, bottom line: Ask God to help you determine what is the best direction for you to take. If you can't afford seminary, that may be part of God's direction. Perhaps it is something He will have you do in the future or perhaps you have reached a level where you are ready to do the things He wants you doing.

      And we are always learning as Christians. That's the wonderful part of being a child of God. We are lifetime students always learning new things about our wonderful Lord.

      May God bless you as you seek His will for your life.

      Delete