Jesus Made an Important I Am Statement and Asked a Life-and-Death Question

In John 11, Christ made a two part I Am statement, and it may just be the most important I Am statement in Scripture. This 1-minute devotion explains.

Resurrection = life
 

If Christ's resurrection hadn't happened, we'd have no hope.

In 1 Corinthians 15, Paul passionately explains: “If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith” (1 Cor. 15:13-14).
 
Our salvation is based on Christ's victory over sin and death that occurred through His death and resurrection. We often talk about the resurrection, but we sometimes forget how incredible, awesome, life-changing, and essential it is. If Christ hadn't been resurrected, we'd still be hopeless sinners (1 Cor. 15:17). 

The resurrection = life.

In John 11, Christ is preparing to temporarily(1) resurrect his friend Lazarus, and He says, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die” (John 11:25-26). 

Jesus follows this "I am" statement with a question for Lazarus' sister Martha. And He asks each of us that question as well: “Do you believe this?” (John 11:26)

Every person on earth will one day answer that question, and their answer will determine whether they have eternal life or eternal death.

My answer is a resounding heartfelt YES! 

What is your answer?

(1) The Bible records a number of human resurrections. See the List here: Got Questions. And when Christ died, we're told that the bodies of many holy people were raised from their graves (Matthew 27:50-53).  But all of these people died again. 
 
To read about a woman whom Peter resurrected, see Don't Be Jealous of Other People's Gifts
 
And I think you will enjoy this 1-minute devotion as well: It's Friday, but Sunday's Coming.  

In John 11, Christ made a two part I Am statement, and it may just be the most important I Am statement in Scripture. This 1-minute devotion explains.



Bible Love Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment