Understanding Why Christ is the Bread of Life

In John 6, Jesus tells us He's the "Bread of Life." This 1-minute devotion explains the importance of that "I am" statement.

Please read When the Good News Reveals the Bad News and What God Meant by I AM WHO I AM as background for this devotion.
 

Jesus made seven “I am” statements recorded in the Gospel of John. Each one is a metaphor giving us important insights into God's character and mission.(1) 

In John 6:35 Jesus says, “I am the bread of life,” and He shares these details:

He’s the bread Who satisfies every hunger and thirst of our souls: “Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.” John 6:35

(See Are You Hungry?)

He’s the bread of eternal life: “Whoever eats this bread will live forever.” John 6:51,58 

He’s the bread of communion: “Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.” John 6:54

When we “eat” this Bread, we die to ourselves and live for Christ:

“I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” Galatians 2:20 

In John 6, Jesus tells us He's the "Bread of Life." This 1-minute devotion explains the importance of that "I am" statement.
In the buffet line of life, some people choose foods infected with the botulism of unbelief. Others pile their plates with the sugary gospel of compromise.

I'm choosing the Bread of Life because I've tasted those other things and they left me weak, sick, hungry, and thirsty. 

Thank-you, Lord Jesus, for feeding our souls. 💙

(See The Gospel is Not a Buffet Line.)

 🍞🍞🍞🍞

I recommend you read all of John 6 to gain important details about this "I am" statement of Christ.

The following Scriptures confirm and expand this metaphor in several ways:

"Man shall not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God." Matthew 4:4

Jesus told the woman at the well, "Whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life." John 4:14

"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled." Matthew 5:6  

(1) A metaphor is a description using an object, event, or person to illustrate another object, event, or person. It's a figure of speech that's not meant to be taken literally. All seven of the "I am" statements in John are metaphors.


Bible Love Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment