Wednesday

3 Ways to Comfort

2 Corinthians 1:3-5, Psalm 69:20, Romans 12:15, helping a friend
"So often people suffer alone because we lack the comforting skills that will give us the confidence to be comforters." Susan Hunt 

Do you know how to respond to a hurting friend? Most of us don't unless we've gone through suffering ourselves (2 Corinthians 1:3-5). 

In Psalm 69:20, the Psalmist laments that he looked for comforters but found none--a common problem.

But this shouldn't happen! Here are some ways anyone can comfort:
  • Be available--Help with physical and emotional needs without making your friend feel they're imposing on your schedule. 
  • Be non-judgmental--Most of us are arrogant enough to think we understand why someone is suffering. We must avoid the trap of becoming a "Job's friend." 
  • Be a listener, not a "fixer"--Too often we think we need to give advice when we simply need to listen, comfort and pray: "Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn." Romans 12:15 
What other tips have you learned about comforting and being comforted? I'd love to have you leave them in a comment.

2 comments:

  1. Gail, thanks for this! I'm afraid I am too quick to offer solutions to the problems and not only listen to my friends. I appreciate you reminding me of the scripture in Romans to rejoice when it's time for that and mourn during such a time and just let the friend know we care and are concerned. Seems when I'm quick to offer advice, maybe they start to turn away from me because I sound insensitive to their need of being heard.
    Thanks for opening my eyes to this!
    Sister in Him,
    Etta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Etta,
      I've been right there with you. Until I went through some difficulties in my life, I actually thought my friends were wanting advice when they shared a problem. But, when I was struggling with problems, I so appreciated the friends who just listened and prayed for me because the ones giving advice often didn't understand the situation fully. I'm glad this was helpful.
      Have a blessed day,
      Gail

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...