I'd Give Anything....Not Really

This 1-minute devotion explains a phrase we use which often means the exact opposite of what it says.  Do you ever say this? See what it really means.


When I lived in Hungary, there were many times I wished I knew the language, but this is one thing I never said:

“I’d give anything to speak Hungarian!”

Do you know why?

Because two decades earlier I heard Elizabeth Elliot speak, and she said whenever we say this we’re actually saying, “I’d give anything—except what it takes.”

Yes! Yes! Igen! Igen!*

Despite the fact that Hungarian is an extremely difficult language to learn, I could speak it if I was devoted to learning it. 

I’m well aware that I did not make it a high priority. 

But sometimes I de-prioritize something unconsciously. And I bet you do, too.

Periodically it’s good to evaluate our conscious and unconscious priorities and offer them to the Lord in prayer. 

“For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Ephesians 2:10

We should want to make every effort - give anything - to fulfill God’s purposes for our lives (Philippians 3:12-14).

* Igen is yes in Hungarian

This 1-minute devotion explains a phrase we use which often means the exact opposite of what it says.  Do you ever say this? See what it really means.


Bible Love Notes

1 comment:

  1. I'd give anything... yeah right. It is just an expression to say how bad we want something. Hungarian is not an easy language, but I know people who have learned to speak it.

    ReplyDelete