Wednesday

5 Ways to Process Problems

Take thoughts captive, recite Scripture
Ever felt worse when you prayed about a problem?  I have.

Praying about problems is a good thing if we do it the right way.

Here's a few things I've learned to do:
1. Remind myself God is Trustworthy (2 Timothy 2:13).

2. Write,* recite and study Bible verses that speak to my specific problems (2 Tim.3:16,17). For example: if fearful I might recite Joshua 1:9.
 
3. Focus on what is good in my life (Philippians 4:8,9).
  
4. Thank God for my many blessings (Psalm 103).
  
5. Take my negative thoughts captive (2 Corinthians 10:5). This is perhaps the hardest part for me and the most critical. It means I constantly battle negative thoughts by thinking of God's truth instead (steps 1-4 are a means for doing this). 

It’s possible to pray without doing these things, but it won't be effective prayer.

* According to The Benefits of Journaling for Stress Management by Elizabeth Scott, M.S, writing/journaling as you pray can help you problem solve because it engages both hemispheres of the brain which helps you process more effectively.
Image created from Stockvault images

Subscribe by signing up below and clicking the link in the Feedburner email sent immediately to your inbox.
For free email delivery enter your email address:


FeedBurner

8 comments:

  1. Hi Gail - I've heard it said many times that the best way to pray is to pray the word. Excellent demonstration of that right here.
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gail, pray without ceasing! Thank you for your words of wisdom today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good reminders - always needing to be reminded, especially #5. That is hardest for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I find it interesting that when we are told to bring our requests to God, we are told to do it "with thanksgiving."

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I'v had a depressing prayer time, it's usually because deep down I'm really fretting aloud and just calling it prayer. Prayer means I trust God to be at work in the situation, believe he can accomplish his will, and truly believe that his will is best for me. Hard to do, but oh, so powerful. Thanks for this thought-provoking post, wise friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad I have found this site. I think God meant for me to be here. Thank you. Our God Reigns!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad this was helpful, Kathey.
      God bless you,
      Gail

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
All Scripture references NIV unless otherwise noted.