I'm Better Than You

sarcasm and harsh words, Christian speech, kindness, self-righteousness
I recently read a blog post that laced truth with self-righteous sarcasm. It made me cringe, knowing I also struggle with self-righteousness and sarcasm at times. It was another warning to try my best to keep those things out of my heart, my speech and my writing.

The worst thing about sarcasm, harshness, or an elite point of view is the damage it does to the Gospel. 

I'm not saying that speaking truth in love is popular--it isn't. But we should pray that our presentation won't make it even less palatable. 

It's easy to think we are being rejected for our boldness in standing up for truth when we are actually being rejected for our rudeness and lack of love.

Help us, Lord, to "speak the truth in love" and let our "conversation always be full of grace" (Ephesians 4:15 NLT, Colossians 4:6, NIV).




After a month of ministry in Hungary, my husband and I are taking 10 days in Croatia just for fun. So I greet you today from Baska Voda and send you blessings from across the globe.




You can subscribe to 1-Minute Bible Love Notes below 
For free email delivery enter your email address:


FeedBurner

16 comments:

  1. Your trip sounds thrilling! Hope you have tons of fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gail, I've enjoyed the photos you've shared from your trip. Very good point you make here this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Laura. So glad you've linked up.

      Delete
  3. Hi Gail! I finally added your button to my website so I could link up : ) Your posts have been a huge blessing to me, and I so appreciate you sharing my button with everyone. Thanks!

    KM
    www.lessonsfromivy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to have you linked up, KM. I always enjoy your blog hop.

      Delete
  4. Ohhh - thanks for the shout-out! :) What a lovely picture of you on the Sea. I hope your enjoying your visit and your time over on this side of the big puddle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, here we are in the same country as you, Rosilind. Thanks for linking up.

      Delete
  5. Hi Gail - I hope you are enjoying your few days off. Its good to rest. and....ouch! I do sometimes catch myself thinking I do that better or I'm better than that. Great food for thought
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy, we're really enjoying our time.
      I know I am a recovering Pharisee...but I have to really be careful to keep recovering and not slip back into my superior self-righteousness. Thanks for linking up.

      Delete
  6. Ha ha ! You must read my post today on Accountablity. Have a great weekend :) Enjoy your travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, dear, it was NOT you : )
      I think it's appropriate at times to point out error, but this post was very sarcastic and superior sounding. It would never have ministered to someone caught in the sins she described.
      And I have to fight this type of attitude in myself, as I said. We Christians find so many reasons to feel superior to other Christians...Bible versions, Bible study methods, mothering choices, schooling choices, denominations, etc.
      And I just want to fight my tendency to become self-righteous.
      Love ya : )

      Delete
  7. Yes indeed, there's only Commenter whose comments count! Patsy from
    HeARTworks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good thoughts - and something we need to be on guard against. Hope you are enjoying your days in Croatia!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving as He loves is the hardest thing -- impossible without the indwelling Holy Spirit! Thanks for the great post & for hosting the linkup! Have a wonderful vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! Sometimes I get "turned off" by bloggers who use a holier-than-thou tone when trying to state their reasons for doing/not doing something. It is so important that, if we're going to point out a sin (hold the other person accountable), we do it with a selfless motive and a loving spirit.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...