I Can't Change

Scripture changes us, Bible, God's Word
I can't change!  

Ever felt this way?  

Years ago I discovered a way that helps me deal with specific sins in my life. It may not work for everyone, but I think it works for most people if they do it sincerely, from the heart.   

Here's what I do: I look for Scriptures dealing with the sin I'm struggling with, write them on 3x5 cards, and go over them daily or 2-3 times a day, meditating on their truth.

This might sound simplistic, but it works because the Bible is living and active, penetrating our hearts. God's Word will always accomplish its purposes in our lives if we submit to it (Hebrews 4:12; Isaiah 55:10-11).  

I can't change myself. But God's Spirit and His Word can change me. And this is one way I actively pursue their work in my life.

Here are a few examples:
If you have a problem with anger meditate on these verses: Psalm 37:8; Ephesians 4:26-27; Proverbs 16:32.  Fear & Worry: 1 Peter 5:7; Matthew 6:30-34; Philippians 4:6-7; Matthew 11:28-30.  Lack of Self-Control: Proverbs 25:28; 2 Peter 1:5-10  

This is a free online resource for finding specific verses: Topical Bible

Now, would you like to do a short Bible study on this devotion...just 3 questions and 4 Bible passages (complete text included)? If so, click HERE and check out this week's Bite Size Bible Study.

4 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say thank you for doing this everyday!

    Jenna @ Rain on a Tin Roof

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful suggestion! As it says in Psalms 119:11 "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee." So meditating on Scriptures that have to do with a particular weakness is a great way to get His Word in there.

    Also wanted to say that "Making Your Home Sing Monday" linky is live and ready for your posts. Love to have you join us again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gail, I am one who loves practical advice and this is that. I have my cards and I am going to give "trying to keep quiet" Scriptures a try. Thanks for always encouraging us.
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the simple, yet effective advice! I'm a visual learner, so for me to see the verse daily would make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...