There’s a two-step answer to my dilemma:
“… we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” 2 Corinthians 10:5
1. Take my thoughts captive—make a conscious decision to quit thinking negatively.
2. Make my thoughts obedient to Christ—dwell on God’s Truth. For example:
- God can bring good out of every situation. (Romans 8:28)
- God will never, ever, ever leave me. (Hebrews 13:5)
- Peace comes by dwelling on good things. (Philippians 4:8)
- And no matter what else happens, I can rejoice in my salvation! (Philippians 3:8,9)
If you are struggling with negative thoughts, ask the Lord to help you implement His two-step solution.
© copyright Gail Burton Purath, 2011
This devotion first appeared on Bible Love Notes 9-2011. Previously I have been offering "Double Shot" Tuesdays with links to two devotions from the archives. But, my granddaughter suggested including the full text to one devotion, making it easier to access, and I think it was a good suggestion. What about you?
Are you enjoying Bible Love Notes? Why not recommend it to a friend? If you're a subscriber, all you have to do is "forward" this email to a friend and suggest she use the tool below to sign up.
When you subscribe, be sure to validate the Feedburner email sent to your inbox.