Be Your Own Thought Police

take every thought captive, 2 Cor. 10:5, police your thought life
So many of my problems begin in my thoughts…I think the worst about a situation or dwell on the negatives. I decide something is hopeless or meaningless and conclude I can’t be happy unless it changes.

There’s a two-step answer to my dilemma:
“… we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.” 2 Corinthians 10:5

1. Take my thoughts captive—make a conscious decision to quit thinking negatively.
2. Make my thoughts obedient to Christ—dwell on God’s Truth. For example:
If you are struggling with negative thoughts, ask the Lord to help you implement His two-step solution.
© copyright Gail Burton Purath, 2011
This devotion first appeared on Bible Love Notes 9-2011. Previously I have been offering "Double Shot" Tuesdays with links to two devotions from the archives. But, my granddaughter suggested including the full text to one devotion, making it easier to access, and I think it was a good suggestion. What about you?

Are you enjoying Bible Love Notes? Why not recommend it to a friend? If you're a subscriber, all you have to do is "forward" this email to a friend and suggest she use the tool below to sign up. 


When you subscribe, be sure to validate the Feedburner email sent to your inbox. 
For free email delivery of Bible Love Notes

Enter your email address
take every thought captive, 2 Cor. 10:5, police your thought life

6 comments:

  1. Oh, Gail, here's another one that has been in my head recently about "taking every thought captive." Wow! Amazing how we are on the "same page" this week! It's so important when thoughts come into our heads and how we decide to react to them (or act on them). Thanks for sharing this wonderful reminder and the great truths of God's Word...our guide to living for Him! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl,
      I have been needing this reminder myself this week : )
      I can so easily get into a worry mode, if I'm not constantly reminding myself of these truths.
      I pray we both have a week of Christ-filled thoughts.
      : )

      Delete
  2. I like having the text to one devotion in the email, but I'd love it if there was a link to the other one at the bottom so we can still get two! :) that or you could include the full texts to both? Just some thoughts in answer to your question :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily. I love hearing this feedback and will definitely take it into consideration. And I appreciate that you like reading two on Tuesdays : )

      Delete
  3. Philippians 4:8 is one of my favorite passages. Coming from a long line of worriers, and always thinking of the worst possible scenarios in any given situation, I needed this reminder today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! I read this today and really needed to be reminded!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...