5 Kernels of Corn

faith under fire, faith in adversity
Their first winter in Plymouth, half of the Pilgrims died from disease and inadequate supplies. 

Things were so bad that they had to ration their supply of corn to five kernels per person per day. 

Several years later when crops were abundant, the Pilgrims started their Thanksgiving celebration by serving each person five kernels of corn, highlighting this truth: 

“I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. For I can do everything with the help of Christ who gives me the strength I need.” (Philippians 4:12,13, NLT)

Whether we’re struggling through lean times or enjoying abundance, we can trust God’s strength to get us through. 

Before our Thanksgiving meal, I serve five kernels of corn to remember our pilgrim heritage and God’s faithfulness. Why not make this your tradition too?

Resource: David Manuel and Peter Marshall, The Light and the Glory (Fleming Revell, NJ, 1977).

When I started 1-Minute Bible Love Notes in 2011, I asked some of my readers (including family and friends) to send me their photo and favorite recipe. If you'd like to read this post and discover my favorite recipe, you'll find it HERE

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Gail for this reminder and this Pilgrim story. My stepson and his wife following this tradition each Thanksgiving around their Thanksgiving table. Hope you have a wonderful day. ~ Abby

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...