The Thing that Makes My Love for My Husband Pale in Significance

Valentine's Day celebrates romantic love. But there's something that makes romantic love pale in significance. Do you know what it is?

In the Origins of Valentine's Day, I explained some possible Christian connections to the holiday, but whatever its origins, it has come to represent a celebration of romantic love. 

God is in favor of romantic love. He created us male and female, He created intimacy, and He created the safe, godly, and loving design of marriage (Genesis 1:27; Genesis 2:18-25). 

I met my “Valentine” when I was sixteen, married him when I was nineteen, and celebrated my fiftieth anniversary with him in 2020. I’m so grateful for God’s design. My husband is my best friend, my lover, my counselor, my companion, and the leader in our home. I don’t do things to please him out of duty. I do things to please him out of love. 

But my love for my husband pales in significance when compared to the greatest love in my life…my love for Jesus. 

I met Jesus when I was twenty-three years old and pregnant with my second child. I’d heard about Him all my life, but I’d never truly met Him until that point. And nothing would ever be the same! My attitudes, values, goals, and purposes began changing, and I had a deep desire to please God, not out of duty, but out of love. 

If you love Him, you know what I mean, don’t you? 

If you don’t know Him, I encourage you to read these posts about committing your life to Him. There’s no decision more important!

Can a Simple Misunderstanding Keep You From Heaven? 

Are There Many Paths to Heaven?

When I first started writing Bible Love Notes, I wrote marriage posts. If you'd like to read them, you can find them here: Christian Marriage Devotions. I especially recommend My Thoughts from 50 Years of MarriageLoved and Enjoyed, An Army Wife's View of Submission, and How to Say "I'm Sorry."

https://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Life-Devotional-One-Minute-Reflections/dp/1087775760

I encourage you to check out the Wisdom for Life Devotional. It contains 100 one-minute devotions to challenge, encourage, instruct, and inspire your love for God's Word. Read the story behind Wisdom for Life HERE. And find out about the two free Bible studies with purchase HERE. You can read the first four devotions in the book by clicking "look inside" or "read sample" on Lifeway or Amazon. To find out where you can order it in the UK, Canada, Australia, South Africa, and the Philippines, see It's Not for the Money.

Valentine's Day celebrates romantic love. But there's something that makes romantic love pale in significance. Do you know what it is?


Bible Love Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment