6 Desires of Christ-Followers

Do you have these 6 Desires? They should be the desires of every Christ-follower.



1. The desire to be holy more than happy (1 John 2:15-17).

~Loving God more than we love worldly things.
~ See: Should Happiness Be Our Goal?

2. The desire to honor and obey God even if it causes suffering (Philippians 3:7-16).

~Wanting to know Christ above all else.
~ See: Worse than Suffering

3. The desire to carry our cross (Matthew 16:24).

~Willingly doing the things God calls us to do, without resentment.
~ See: God Calls Us to Die Before We Live

4. The desire to see all things from God’s eternal perspective (Matthew 6:19-20).

~Storing our treasure in heaven because we know this life is but a breath.
~ See: This Bugged Me

5. The desire to learn from God's correction and discipline (Hebrews 12:4-11).

~Being teachable, quick to repent, able to identify our sins and learn from them.
~ See: 3 Steps to Overcome Sin Patterns

6. The desire to focus on others more than on ourselves (Philippians 2:3-4).

~Aware that self-focus leads to selfishness.
~ See: Low Self-Esteem and Inflated Self-Esteem

Dear Lord, help us to have all six of these desires.
----------------------------------
Some thoughts for this devotion were prompted by Tozer's 7 Characteristics of a Spiritual Man (Gasping for the Glory of God). 

https://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Life-Devotional-One-Minute-Reflections/dp/1087775760

I encourage you to check out the Wisdom for Life Devotional. It contains 100 one-minute devotions to challenge, encourage, instruct, and inspire your love for God's Word. Read the story behind Wisdom for Life HERE. And find out about the two free Bible studies with purchase HERE. You can read the first 4 devotions in the book by clicking "look inside" or "read sample" on Lifeway or Amazon.
 
I also encourage you to sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes and get a free e-booklet. Find out more HERE.


Do you have these 6 Desires? They should be the desires of every Christ-follower.



 

Do you have these 6 Desires? They should be the desires of every Christ-follower.

7 comments:

  1. I'm going to print this and tape it to the bathroom mirror!
    Sometimes, what comes after the comma, at the end of a sentence is convicting (#3).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on that one, Christine. I definitely can do better in all 6 of these areas. :)
      Gail

      Delete
  2. I think I do have the "desire"to do all of them. But then sometimes my life doesn't reflect that desire. But praise God for His grace and mercy, that He loves me so much He's willing to keep working in my life to help me look more like His Son. I am memorizing Phil 2:3-5, and verse 5 says, Have this mind in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus. So my goal is to look at the world through Jesus' eyes and love like He does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, none of us perfectly reflect these elements of our faith, but we are growing! And as we yield to him, He changes us from the inside out.

      Delete
  3. Please pray for me that I should be obedient to do these not just desiring. My whole being and my whole life should prove to God that I love him so much everyday through the strength of Holy spirit. But Im failing and disappointing God everyday. Please pray for me daily. Thanks Gail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lift you up in prayer, asking that you will fulfill the desires you've written here: to love God wholeheartedly and do all things in His strength and for His purposes. And I pray this prayer for all who read this and for myself as well!
      God bless you.

      Delete