Singing in the Shadow- 5 Ways to Overcome Nighttime Fears - Psalm 63:6-8

night terrors, night worries, peace in God, Psalms
In 1979, while waiting for our 1:00 AM flight to Germany, our 6-year-old son had a night terror* in the airport. I ended up on the floor with him and our eleven suitcases, holding him while he screamed as if being tortured.

When a child has a "night terror," he's completely irrational and inconsolable.

I can be this way at night too, not as noisy, but just as irrational about my problems and concerns. 

Do you ever have anxious thoughts that become darker in the darkness, like evil monsters of hopelessness?

If so, it helps to "prepare your mind" (1 Peter 1:13): 

1. Memorize Scriptures about God's faithfulness and recite them before bedtime.

Then, if you wake up you can "sing in the shadow of God's wings" (Psalm 63:6-8):

2. Recite those hopeful verses again.
3. Recite hymn or praise song lyrics that lift your spirits.
4. Count your blessings.
5. Remember that your fears are not realistic at night.

* Dreams and nightmares occur during REM sleep, but night terrors occur during the deeper stages of sleep. The child can't be awakened or consoled and he has no memory the next morning. While these terrors can be caused by stress or illness, sometimes they occur without known cause in early childhood and disappear before adolescence.

overcoming night time fears

5 comments:

  1. Hi Gail! My daughter had night terrors too. She thinks her daughter has them now. Yuck.

    I think everyone has anxious thoughts now and again. And your idea of thinking about Scripture is a great way to meditate on something else other than useless worry. I do say "If The Lord does not build a house..." a lot. It's just not in my control. I'll do the best I can, and then he has his will. It does free me.

    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should post this right now...You see, recently, I've been having nightmares due to a trial I'm going through. In the daytime, I'm fine. But, in the middle of the night I've been waking up because of my dreams. Then, once awake, it is hard to turn my brain off, you know? Well, to help with this, I've been doing just as you suggested above! Reading God's word right before I fall asleep has been wonderful as it gets my mind on God. Then, when I've been asleep, I am not troubled. In fact, on a funny note, last night I had a dream that I was driving in a white Dodge Viper (Ha!) with the license plate that read: "I love life!" I'd say that was a pretty positive experience! In fact, I'm still smiling about it! lol

    Blessings, Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gail, I love what Joan said above because it confirms what I was going to say... God's word is so practical. Great reminder of this.
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I'm really happy to be reading this. I've struggled with feelings of being unecessarily afraid at night, when everyone else is sleeping. I've been prescribed, practically tranqilizers, which worked for awhile. I've realized that God isn't going to let me knock myself out, to "fix" these irrational fears that have been troublesome in different degrees. I've found that medication actually makes my thoughts worse, as if God is letting me know that meds enough to knock out a horse are not going to knock out His daughter. I've been listeninf to christian music on Pandora at night, and being in peace with God. The enemy wants us snuffed out, and I suppose silencing us can be enough, just enough that we stay locked in fear. I'm definitely not over it all, but I'm a far cry from how I have been at night. God bless and sweet dreams to all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful testimony, Annette. May God continue to give you sweet dreams.
      Gail

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...