The Story Behind the Popular Hymn "Count Your Blessings"

The story behind the "Count Your Blessings" Hymn will lift your spirits. A man who refused more than $1.

Johnson Oatman, Jr. (1856-1922), was an ordained pastor and a businessman who hadn't found his niche in life.

Then he began writing music lyrics in his free time, and his hymns became immediately popular.

When publishers asked Oatman his price, he surprised them by refusing more than a dollar per hymn. He wanted to offer his music to the Lord, not for profit.

Before he died, he'd written over 5000 hymns, reaching millions with his lyric messages. He truly wrote his hymns with all his heart, "as working for the Lord, not for human masters" (Colossians 3:23).

One of his most popular hymns may also be the one that best reflects his generous, grateful life: "Count Your Blessings" (1897). The message is simple, profound, and just as relevant 100 years later:

♪ ♫ Count your blessings, name them one by one, Count your blessings, see what God hath done! ♪ ♫ 

Let's do it everyday. 

🎵🎵🎵 Music plays an important role in the lives of Christians. These 1-minute devotions explain:



To listen to this hymn: Count Your Blessings
------------------

Why not add some more of God's Word to your schedule by having a 1-minute devotion delivered to your email each weekday. Sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes and get a free e-booklet. Find out more HERE.


The story behind the "Count Your Blessings" Hymn will lift your spirits. A man who refused more than $1.




The story behind the "Count Your Blessings" Hymn will lift your spirits. A man who refused more than $1.

6 comments:

  1. I love these little glimpses into the lives of our fellow Christians. So inspiring. Thank you, Gail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my, Gail, I had no idea that Johnson Oatman had written that many hymns! And, yes, I just LOVE that hymn and enjoyed singing it when was younger! Oh, thank you for bringing that wonderful hymn to my mind and heart! I too love the glimpses into lives of wonderful believers! God continues to use them for many years to come! Hugs, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad this blessed you, Cheryl. It also blessed me to hear of such a generous spirit in the man who wrote a song that I also have sung since childhood and enjoyed.

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for this Gail. I used this exact scripture on my FB page today. I'll share your devotion there as well. One of my favorite hymns. ~ Abby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Irving Berlin's "Count your Blessings instead of Sheep" has also been a favorite of mine to sing to my children!

    ReplyDelete