Changing Our Perspective


Our perspective on life is based on our expectations.

My friend lived in a location where most of the families were two-income professionals. In her Sunday school class, people often discussed their expensive European vacations. Sometimes she attended parties at million dollar homes and then returned to her modest rented condo.

It's difficult to be content when we're surrounded by people who have more than we have, whether they have more money, better jobs, more meaningful relationships, whatever...

It's natural to be tempted by these things, but we Christians have God's Spirit and His wisdom to help us. Scripture can change our perspective and bring us contentment in any circumstance. (See A Practical Method for Overcoming Sin.)

Is anything making you discontent? I encourage you to read, memorize, and regularly recite the passages below:

Matthew 6:33: "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."

1 John 2:17: "The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever."

Philippians 4:12-13"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength." 

1 Timothy 6:6: "Godliness with contentment is great gain." (Read the whole passage: 6:6-10.)

------------------
These 1-minute devotions can also help give you the right perspective:
Don't Give Me What I Deserve
Just a Little Bit More


Sometimes our environment gives us expectations that remove our contentment. This 1-minute devotion offers several Scriptures that can adjust our perspective. #BibleLoveNotes #Bible #Devotions

Sometimes our environment gives us expectations that remove our contentment. This 1-minute devotion offers a verse that can adjust our perspective. #BibleLoveNotes #Bible #Devotions






Bible Love Notes

4 comments:

  1. Hi Gail. This is a great post and I can so relate. Dropping by from UPB2013.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dropping by from Faith Filled Friday! I need the secret of living with a husband's negative comments about my haircut! He's usually not a negative person, ...and I've got his point. He HATES my hair cut. Yes, the beautician got it too short. I already feel bad when I look in the mirror, and I need to change and re-shape my perspective with God's help! I CAN, I CAN, I CAN do this with God's help (Phil 4:13 as above!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Esther, I know God can reshape our perspective, and I will pray that He reshapes your hubby's as well. The good news is that hair grows! I've had a few bad hair cuts myself. : )

      Delete
  3. Great article! Thankful that my Standard of living is grounded in Jesus. And going through David Ramsey's Financial Peace University didn't hurt.
    In light of the current world craziness re: Covid19 I adopted a new perspective just yesterday after reading an article where the author, whose name I forget, said he prefers to think of it as The Great Pause. I latched onto that phrase! It's time to be still and know that He is God(Psalm 46:10).

    ReplyDelete