Tuesday

Location & Character

Perspective, Philippians 4:12-13, C.S. Lewis
“What you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing: it also depends on what sort of person you are.”  
― C.S. Lewis, The Magician's Nephew

My daughter lived in a location where most of the families were two income professionals. In her Sunday school class, someone might ask for travel prayers for their family vacation to Paris. 

Sometimes she attended parties at million dollar homes and returned to her modest third floor condo.

Then her husband found a job in another state where her social peers were stay-at-home moms with similar incomes. 

Changing location helps us gain perspective. But when we can't change location, our perspective boils down to "what sort of person we are."

And Paul gives us the key:
"I have learned the secret of living in every situation... For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength." Philippians 4:12-13

If we are willing, Christ is eager to shape (and re-shape) our perspective.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Gail. This is a great post and I can so relate. Dropping by from UPB2013.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I can't imagine living the way your daughter used to. Must have been interesting. Good analogy. I always look forward to reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dropping by from Faith Filled Friday! I need the secret of living with a husband's negative comments about my haircut! He's usually not a negative person, ...and I've got his point. He HATES my hair cut. Yes, the beautician got it too short. I already feel bad when I look in the mirror, and I need to change and re-shape my perspective with God's help! I CAN, I CAN, I CAN do this with God's help (Phil 4:13 as above!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Esther, I know God can reshape our perspective, and I will pray that He reshapes your hubby's as well. The good news is that hair grows! I've had a few bad hair cuts myself. : )

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...