Don't Give Me What I Deserve!

Jesus gives us what we don't deserve-eternal life, sense of entitlement not Christian
We don't have cable TV, but when we travel I like watching HGTV.(1)

On a recent trip, an HGTV show featured a couple who identified themselves as Christians. They were looking for a starter home and only houses with modern, top-of-the-line features would do. They called everything else "disgusting."

I thought about how excited my husband and I were with
our first home, an older single-wide mobile home in a crowded trailer park.


And I wondered if this HGTV couple realized that homes they called "disgusting" were dream homes for most of the world.

Unfortunately, there are times I also have a sense of entitlement(2) like this young couple, thinking I deserve something I don't.

And a sense of entitlement is not only a poor witness; it's a sign of shallow faith. Ouch!

The cure: strong doses of God's Truth, remembering what we  truly deserve is death and nothing more. Period. But the undeserved gift of God is eternal life (Romans 6:23).

(1) Home and Garden Television
(2) Sense of Entitlement - An unrealistic, unmerited or inappropriate expectation of favorable living conditions and favorable treatment at the hands of others (source).

Would you like to do a Bite Size Bible Study on this devotion that gives passages for combating a sense of entitlement with 1) money/possessions 2)the way others treat us 3) smooth sailing in life. Check it out HERE.

2 comments:

  1. I love what you said here. We live in a small cottage in the country. It was a fixer upper when we bought it, but we are slowly fixing and repairing and making it home. When we think of how 80 percent of the world lives in poverty and so many people (even here in the USA) sleep on the ground or in tents, cardboard boxes and crowded shelters . . . well, we feel totally blessed. Having a bed, with clean sheets and blankets is a blessing not to be taken for granted. How abundantly blessed we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen!
      I often remember that much of the world is without warm water when I take a shower or bath. What a luxury!
      And, Connie, I think we appreciate our home more when we save for it and work on it. At least that's been my experience.
      : )

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...