What Scripture Says About Abortion

What Scripture Says About Abortion
While the word “abortion” is not found in Scripture, it is still forbidden. We can determine this by "correctly handling the Word of Truth" (2 Timothy 2:15). 
-----------------
Note: If you’ve had an abortion, I encourage you to seek godly counsel. These articles might be a good start: Biblical Encouragement for Women Healing from Abortion and Healing Abortion’s Guilt
--------------------------

1. God gives life:

Acts 17:25: And [God] is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, he himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else.

2. Life begins in the womb:

Job 31:15: Did not he who made me in the womb make them? Did not the same one form us both within our mothers?

Psalm 139:13-16: For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.16 Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

What Scripture Says About Abortion
Isaiah 44:2: This is what the LORD says-- he who made you, who formed you in the womb, and who will help you: Do not be afraid, Jacob, my servant, Jeshurun, whom I have chosen.

Isaiah 49:5: And now the LORD says-- he who formed me in the womb to be his servant to bring Jacob back to him and gather Israel to himself, for I am honored in the eyes of the LORD and my God has been my strength…

Jeremiah 1:5: "Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations."

Luke 1:41-44:When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. 42 In a loud voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! 43 But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? 44 As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy.

3. Murder - taking an innocent life - violates God’s commands: 

Exodus 20:13: You shall not murder.

Psalm 106:37-38: They sacrificed their sons and their daughters to false gods. 38 They shed innocent blood, the blood of their sons and daughters, whom they sacrificed to the idols of Canaan, and the land was desecrated by their blood. 

Jeremiah 7:30-31:The people of Judah have done evil in my eyes, declares the Lord...They have built the high places of Topheth in the Valley of Ben Hinnom to burn their sons and daughters in the fire—something I did not command, nor did it enter my mind.

Scripture does not specifically mention every type of murder, but we know that taking innocent lives is murder whatever form it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...