Would you like a 1-minute devotion like this delivered to your inbox each weekday? Sign up for a free subscription on the right side bar here.
We've heard of Grammar Rules of Speech. These are more than that:
1. Respond gently to angry words - Proverbs 15:1
"A gentle answer deflects anger."
2. Share the truth lovingly - Proverbs 15:2, Ephesians 4:15
(If you're resentful, proud, or disinterested, keep your mouth shut.)
"The tongue of the wise makes knowledge appealing ... [so] speak the truth in love."
3. Speak truthfully - Proverbs 15:4, Ephesians 4:25
"A deceitful tongue crushes the spirit ... [so] Let us tell our neighbors the truth."
4. Share wisdom - Proverbs 15:7
"The lips of the wise give good advice."
5. Wait for the right time and place to speak - Proverbs 15:23
"Everyone enjoys a fitting reply; it is wonderful to say the right thing at the right time!"
6. Keep a clean mouth - Ephesians 4:29, 5:4
"Don't use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful ... [no] obscene stories, foolish talk, and coarse jokes."