Behold, He Stands at the Door

It's becoming increasingly popular to create a Jesus who is not the real Jesus and it almost always involves some mockery.

While ex-vangelicals don’t agree on everything, they typically concur that all men deserve to be saved whether they accept Christ or not.

Recently I saw one of their memes on social media and it broke my heart. It was a picture of Jesus standing at a door knocking, based on Revelation 3:20: "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me." 

But the ex-vangelical version replaced God's Word with these words:

Jesus: “Let me in!” 

Voice behind the door: “Why?” 

Jesus: “So I can save you.” 

Voice: “From what?” 

Jesus: “From what I’m going to do to you if you don’t let me in.” 

This mockery portrays mankind as good and it portrays our just and holy God as evil. Like Cain, those who created this meme consider themselves innocent victims (Genesis 4:13). 

But in reality, we are all guilty sinners in need of a Savior (Romans 3:23).

In this meme, there's no hint that this Jesus who knocks on the door is sinless and perfect. There's no indication that He died a brutal death to pay for our sins (2 Corinthians 5:21).

That's because the "god" of universal salvation sees sin as no big deal, certainly not something worth dying for.

The popularity of this mockery shouldn't surprise us— Jesus prophesied it when he said, "They hated me without reason" (John 15:25). But it still breaks my heart. No one who knows Jesus can mock His gift of salvation. 

Let's pray for the hearts, minds, and salvation of those who enjoy scoffing at our Lord.

-----------

To read more, see these Bible Love Notes collections of 1-minute devotions:

Beware of Ex-vangelical Teachings.


It's becoming increasingly popular to create a Jesus who is not the real Jesus and it almost always involves some mockery.


Bible Love Notes

1 comment:

  1. The Bible is clear that no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again (John 3:3).

    ReplyDelete