The Lying Wife

Potiphar's wife was definitely an evil influence in Joseph's life, but she actually got Joseph where God wanted him to be!! This devotion explains.

Sold into slavery by his cruel brothers, a stranger in a foreign land, Joseph had more than enough to deal with. But on top of it all, Potiphar’s wife had him thrown into prison for sins he didn’t commit (Genesis 39-40).

Potiphar’s wife represents a type of person Satan sometimes plants in our lives, hoping to thwart God’s purposes. These people cover their sins by falsely accusing others.(1)

I can identify. I was dealing with some of the greatest sorrows in my life when a friend falsely accused me and complicated my already challenging life.

So why did God allow Potiphar’s wife to kick Joseph when he was down? And why did He allow my “friend” to kick me when I was down? 

In Joseph’s story Potiphar’s wife actually enabled him to end up in Pharoah’s court, exactly where God wanted him (Romans 8:28).

And I can say with confidence that God used my accuser the same way, shutting some doors in my life and preparing me for new doors He was opening.

Do you have a Potiphar’s wife in your life right now? Hang in there! God’s purposes will not be thwarted (Job 42:2).(2)

“Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” James 1:2-4

I encourage you to dig a bit deeper and study some other aspects of Joseph's life. It will encourage you to stand firm and trust God's purposes even when things are difficult: 1-Minute Devotions About Joseph.

Footnotes:

(1) Satan focuses on falsely accusing Christians because he knows it can be especially painful and disruptive to our lives (Revelation 12:10). 

(2) Just as Joseph suffered several years in prison before God's purposes were realized, it may take several years before we fully realize God's purposes in our lives as well. 

Potiphar's wife was definitely an evil influence in Joseph's life, but she actually got Joseph where God wanted him to be!! This devotion explains.


Bible Love Notes

3 comments:

  1. The reason God allows those types of people in our lifes is a test. Will we have the patience to see it through to God's conclusion? Many times the Christian will give up before they see the 'silver lining' God has paned for us. How sad it is to miss what our Father wants for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gail. I just wanted to thank you for your encouraging post.

    ReplyDelete