Not 21 Days

Luke 9:23-24, denying self, develooping a habit, quiet time
For years I've heard it takes 21 days to form a habit.

However, I recently discovered this "fact" is based on 1960 research that showed amputees needed 21 days to adjust to a missing limb. As you can imagine, being forced to live without a limb is more compelling than improving your exercise program, eating healthier, or having a regular quiet time.

So, at the risk of sounding legalistic, I've come across a "trick" that sometimes works for developing a regular quiet time habit. It's based on the biblical principle of self-denial (Luke 9:23-24). 

An example: If you love your morning cup of coffee, don't allow yourself to have it unless you're reading your Bible.

Or, if you love your daily run, don't allow yourself to have it if you missed your quiet time the day before. This worked for my husband ...
but would never work for me!
 

What do you think? Could self-denial help you form a better quiet time habit? 

To read more about habit formation: PSY Blog and Huff Post

4 comments:

  1. I love the idea :-) Except I have to have the coffee first; otherwise I can't keep my eyes open and nothing makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wondered why that 21-day rule never worked for me. Your suggestion seems like a good use of a biblical principle. This would not be the first time (and, sory to say, probably not the last) time I have learned God's word had it right all along., if only I had been paying attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you love how God always makes the most sense : )

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...