Why Quiet Time Is Not Always the Best Name

The Psalms offers a balanced and varied look at time with the Lord. This 1-minute devotion explains why it's not necessarily good to call it a "Quiet" time. #BibleLovenotes #Bible

It’s interesting that we Christians call our time with the Lord a “quiet time.” 

The Psalms offer insights into a healthy relationship with the Lord and they encourage us to quiet ourselves, remove all distractions (e.g. Psalm 131:2), focus on God and His Word (e.g. Psalm 119:9-16), and even sit in silence before Him (e.g. Psalm 46:10).

But the Psalmists also cry out in pain, despair, hopelessness, frustration, fear, and anger (e.g. Psalm 69). These aren’t “quiet” things, but they’re part of a healthy relationship with God. God wants us to come to Him honestly, openly, sharing our fears, confusion, questions, and doubts.

The Psalmists also broke the silence with praise and worship - singing, shouting, and speaking words of gratitude and love for the Lord (e.g. Psalm 100).

And, of course, the Psalms (and all of Scripture) encourage us to pray for ourselves and others, whether quietly or aloud (Psalm 32:6).

Psalms give us a balanced view of time with the Lord that is always good, but not always “quiet.”

Note: I’m going to continue to use the term “quiet time” because it’s easily understood, but I sometimes think we should come up with a more fitting name. What would you suggest?


Free Subscription to 1-Minute Bible Love Notes
Why not add some more of God's Word to your schedule by having a 1-minute devotion delivered to your email each weekday. Sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes and get a free e-booklet. Find out more HERE.

The Psalms offers a balanced and varied look at time with the Lord. This 1-minute devotion explains why it's not necessarily good to call it a "Quiet" time.



The Psalms offers a balanced and varied look at time with the Lord. This 1-minute devotion explains why it's not necessarily good to call it a "Quiet" time. #BibleLovenotes #Bible


12 comments:

  1. I usually say just say, Spending Time with God. Sometime I’m in the car, or vacuuming or sitting in my chair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I am glad I read this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I call it quiet time because it’s the quietest time of day, I have 6 kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I often use the phrase "My Time With The Lord"
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Corner time', indicating my place for Bible reading, journaling, and prayer. I'm surrounded by our house plants so I could call it 'time in the forest'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually say "spend time with God" or "quiet time" or just "I need to be with the Lord". :)

    ReplyDelete