This Bugged Me: All of My Sweaters "Eaten"

Oh my! A tiny bug had eaten most of my wool clothing. But not all was in vain. God taught me a wonderful lesson.

Temperatures were dropping, so I took a box of winter clothes from the top shelf of my closet and tried on my favorite wool sweater. As I pulled it over my head, tiny holes appeared everywhere, making the sweater look like Swiss cheese.

As I examined the other wool items in the box, I found that every one was riddled with holes and completely ruined.

After several days of anxious investigation, we discovered that a former occupant of our home had unknowingly left a "welcoming gift"—insect larva that eat wool. We had to have our house “bombed” with insecticide.

But God used that situation in a Romans 8:28 way, reminding me of Christ's words in Matthew 6:19-21

“Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.”

Earthly treasures are unreliable and temporary.

"The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever." 1 John 2:17

It was a hard lesson for me, but it was a good one. I thank the Lord that He loves us enough to teach us the hard lessons.

Did you know that Bible Love Notes has a collection of 1-minute devotions about Overcoming Adversity?  It contains devotions such as God Can Use Our Scars and 5 Things to Do When Someone Mistreats You.


Oh my! A tiny bug had eaten most of my wool clothing. But not all was in vain. God taught me a wonderful lesson.


Bible Love Notes

5 comments:

  1. The world pushes us to have treasures here on earth....but the word of GOD is truth and we must dig into His word to keep the world's views pushed away.
    Thanks for this reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this. I struggle with my treasures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Michelle,
      I think most of us struggle to put material things in perspective.
      I know I need reminders like this.
      : )

      Delete
  3. What great reminder! (Something I should be focussing almost daily! Augh.) Your story about your wool clothing is a perfect illustration. I will remember it!

    ReplyDelete