I’ve started a practice of handwriting a portion of Scripture each morning. It helps me consider each word more carefully than when I type or read it. I’m finding that I often see new things in a passage that I’ve read a hundred times before, and I’m studying things I previously overlooked.
“In an era dominated by digital technology, it can often feel like handwriting is becoming a lost art. However, a growing body of research suggests that the act of writing by hand has significant cognitive benefits, particularly for memory and learning.” (source)
At age 75, I definitely like the idea of doing something that helps my memory, but when it comes to God’s Word, these benefits are important at every age. My husband doesn’t like handwriting, but the good news is that hand printing has the same benefits.
Another way to better retain what we read in Scripture is creative Bible journaling. This involves keeping a journal where you draw things that help you remember the passage. Not everyone will enjoy this, but if you have a creative side, give it a try. See Creative Bible Study.
Let’s never forget the importance of God’s Word in our lives (2 Timothy 3:16). If it’s not part of our daily schedule, we’ll be spiritually malnourished (Matthew 4:4).
“For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” Hebrews 4:12
🖉🖊🖉🖊🖉
See Pen, Paper, & Learning Style and Ephesians 3:17 -- Rooted in Christ for more encouragement in your Bible study.
And if you're looking for a way to be even more creative, check out these ideas for making journals from composition books: 3 Inexpensive Journals.





No comments:
Post a Comment