Responding to Revisionist Theology: Don't Overlook Verse 11

Revisionist gay theologians claim 1 Corinthians 6:9 is not a condemnation of homosexuality. This short devotion examines the original Greek to give a clear understanding of the verse. #Homosexuality #BibleLoveNotes #Devotions

More than ever before, we must know what the Bible teaches! If we don't, we'll be taken in by propaganda and false teachings. 

Despite our culture's claims to the contrary, remaining silent about the sin of homosexuality is hateful. If we care about those involved in this sin, we'll unashamedly share God's loving warnings.*

Gay revisionists claim that the Bible supports monogamous homosexual relationships, and they come to this conclusion from various and sometimes contradictory angles. 

Let's look at their explanation for the passage below:

“Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate [malakos], nor homosexuals [arsenokoitasis], nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.”  1 Corinthians 6:9-10 

Arsenokoitai is a word first used by Paul, combining the Greek words male and bed similar to the Hebrew wording in Leviticus 18:22 which condemns men laying with men.

Bible scholars accurately define Arsenokoitai as “a male engaging in same-gender sexual activity.” 

However, gay revisionists insist that the Greek refers to economic exploitation, likely through sexual means” (source). Their arguments for this and ever other claim they make is based on the belief that Bible scholars for thousands of years have either been stupid or prejudice. In fact, from my study of gay revisionist theology, I would summarize it as a theology based on the belief that the Bible doesn't really mean what it says.

You might say their explanations strain out the gnat and swallow the camel, picking apart insignificant details while ignoring the obvious message. And, as I said before, they have a collection of different explanations for the same passages, some of which contradict each other.

for example, they also claim that this passage only condemns homosexual behavior when one of the gay partners tries to act effeminate (malakos) requiring malakos and Arsenokoitai be translated together. 

And in another of their explanations, they claim the two words must be combined to mean homosexual rape or abuse. In this explanation, they claim malakos refers to abused persons/abused boys.

Neither argument is legitimate:

1. The Greek lists each sinful lifestyle separately. A fornicator is sinful even if he's not an idolator, and a homosexual sins even if he doesn't have sex with a cross-dresser.

2. Most importantly, if malakos were victims, God would never condemn them in this list!

And here's the beauty of God's love:

Look at the grace and forgiveness in the conclusion of this passage found in verse 11: "And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God" (1 Corinthians 6:11).

Satan loves revisionist "theologies" because they keep people from inheriting the kingdom of God.

God's purpose is to save us from harmful lifestyles. Homosexuals can find complete forgiveness when they do what every sinner must do: repent and turn to Christ. 

God wants to set homosexuals free! 

* Note that in Romans 1:16-32, Paul begins his warnings about homosexuality, by proclaiming,  “I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes

✜✜✜

More resources explaining that the Greek word Arsenokoitai means homosexual sex:

Crossway

Got Questions

If we care about the souls of homosexual men and women, we will learn what Scripture teaches (Biblical Teaching on Homosexuality). And we will also learn how to respond to gay revisionist arguments.

Arsenokoitasis is the same Greek word used in 1 Timothy 1:10 when it says "those practicing homosexuality" are among the ungodly.
  
See the actual Greek words as they appear in the original texts here. The word for effeminate stands alone as does the word for homosexuality. In the Greek, the conjunction oute is found between every item on this list of sinners. Oute means "and not, neither, nor." That means that in the Greek, it reads "...nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous..." 

What adds to this confusion is that several Bibles translate malakos and arsenokoitasis as "men who have sex with men" instead of translating the words separately. 

Note: One reason I don't recommend The Message paraphrase of Scripture is because it offers a vague rendering of 1 Corinthians 6:9-11 (source). See Errors: The Message & The Passion Translation.


Revisionist gay theologians claim 1 Corinthians 6:9 is not a condemnation of homosexuality. This short devotion examines the original Greek to give a clear understanding of the verse. #Homosexuality #BibleLoveNotes #Devotions



Revisionist Gay Theologians claim 1 Corinthians 6:9 is not a condemnation of homosexuality. This short devotion examines the original Greek to give a clear understanding of the verse.


6 comments:

  1. Thank you for explaining this so clearly. Appreciate you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is still argued by Episcopalians, among others,that GOD blesses a loving relationship; Gay or hetero. This flies in the face of scripture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please get over this point. God loves hetero or homo. Just because u don't deal with it personally doesn't mean u get to deign what goes into the kingdom of God. Should we still be stoned for working on the sabbath as the Bible says? Many would be in trouble. I think u can agree there are things we need to do and that is to love one another. Take the log out of your own eye before you decide to take the toothpick outta my eye. When u have actually lived through the unbelonging, the hatred, and the persecution for being who you are let me know. People have committed suicide over this very way of thought. I think if it was that easy to change people definitely wouldn't take that route. It would be equivalent to asking you to be homosexual. I doubt it would be easy to change what God gifted as your primal urges. Conversion therapy doesn't work. Thats why its banned. So everyone who stands in their ivory tower life and judges those around them but doesn't look at the fact that they are showing the exact opposite of the love that Jesus showed others should stick to those things they know. We need to take a look at ourselves and what we are unhappy with in our own life. I genuinely like your posts. This one i feel can do harm to others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Unknown,

      You write:"Please get over this point" - that would mean deny what Scripture teaches.

      You write:"God loves hetero or homo" – I agree. He loves all mankind, but He hates behaviors that damage their souls and homosexuality is one of those behaviors.

      You write: "Just because u don't deal with it personally doesn't mean u get to deign what goes into the kingdom of God."-- You are so right that it's not my job to decide. It's God's job and He clearly tells us homosexuality damages men's souls. If you knew someone was dying of a poison and you had the antidote, would you remain silent?

      "Should we still be stoned for working on the sabbath as the Bible says?" You are comparing an Old Testament civil law for the nation of Israel to a New Testament moral command. Those laws never applied outside of that context. Never. I have written a number of devotions explaining the differences between Old and New Testament laws. However, the commands against homosexuality are moral commands found in the New Testament.

      You write: "Take the log out of your own eye before you decide to take the toothpick outta my eye." Matthew 7:1-5 means don't criticize someone for committing the same sins you are committing. That would apply to me if I were a practicing homosexual writing about the sin of homosexual behavior.

      You write, "When u have actually lived through the unbelonging, the hatred, and the persecution for being who you are let me know. People have committed suicide over this very way of thought." – I am truly sorry for any hatred you’ve encountered, and I’m sorry if it was done in the name of Christ. I interact with hundreds of Christians on a weekly basis and I have never heard anything mean-spirited said about homosexuals in Christian fellowship. I’m not saying it doesn’t exist, but I know it’s not the standard for Christians in general. So claiming all Christians are hateful is the same as saying all homosexuals are child molesters. Are there some? Yes. Is it the standard? No.

      But I’d ask you to take a look at your response to me. In my devotion, did I judge anyone's motives as you've done to me? Which sounds more hateful, my devotion or your comment? Christians who believe God’s Word are more hated in America than homosexuals. On a regular basis, I have people judge me, call me names, and accuse me of saying things I’ve never said.

      You talked about conversion therapy. From what I’ve read, some conversion therapies are abusive. And, to be honest, as a Christian, I only believe in one kind of conversion: the conversion of the heart that occurs when a person accepts Christ as their Lord and Savior and repents of their sins. I know that works because it worked for me. I couldn't say no to my sins were it not for my relationship with the Lord.

      You said, “I doubt it would be easy to change what God gifted as your primal urges.” First, God never gives us sinful desires. They are part of our fallen human nature. Secondly, it’s actually impossible to change them without God's Spirit working in us. None of us can do it on our own.

      I'm genuinely concerned for the souls and the eternity of homosexuals and that’s why I write what Scripture teaches. If you read my blog, you know that I spend far more time on sins other than homosexuality, and I never have someone accuse me of standing in an ivory tower when I talk about those sins. My weakness is not homosexual urges, but I’ve never stood in an “ivory tower.” I stand next to every other saved sinner, admitting I need the Lord.

      Delete
  4. If we care for each others souls. Well said.
    (Leviticus 18:22 LXX uses the same Greek words arsenos koiten).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all you do!!!
    Don't Forget verse 11
    Para 1. Should "my" be "by"?
    Para7. Should "ever other" be "every other"?
    Many Blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete