Weeds in the Church

Scripture tells us that there are "weeds" in the church. Why should we be aware of this important truth? This devotion explains.

It's hard for us to understand, but it's possible for people to focus their lives on the church without ever making Christ their Lord. 

Outward acts are definitely part of salvation, but they must be accompanied by inward beliefs.

Satan has planted "weeds" in the church, people who look very similar to the "wheat" (Matthew 13:24-30). In fact, Scripture says if genuine believers could identify and "pull out" all the weeds, it might uproot us (Matthew 13:29).

It's our job to identify compromise and false teaching, but we will not be able to identify every false convert. God is the only one who can perfectly see people's hearts.

But let me share something that weeds never do: they never genuinely repent of sins (1 John 1:10). They might speak words of repentance, but in their hearts they excuse their sins and keep committing them. 

They may claim to forgive but continue to harbor bitterness (Matthew 6:15). 

They may be sorry for the consequences of their sins but not for the sins themselves (Genesis 4:13). 

They may worry about how they look on the outside but not how they look on the inside (Matthew 23:25).

Satan's weeds are sometimes self-deceived, believing they are saved when they aren't (Matthew 7:21-23).(1) Others may be fully aware of their mission (1 John 2:18). 

Scripture tells us that there are "weeds" in the church. Why should we be aware of this important truth? This devotion explains.Why does Scripture tell us about these weeds? So we can judge everything by God's Word, aware that false teachers and false believers are among us.

See Why Salvation Requires Repentance.

(1) Matthew 7:21-23: "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'"


Bible Love Notes

6 comments:

  1. Hi Miss Gail,
    First of all I want to say that I enjoy reading your devotions, and I find your wisdom inspiring. There is something that has been bothering me for a long time, doubts about my salvation because I am still fighting with the same sin for years, and reading this devotion makes me think If I am a weed and what do I do, am I doomed to hell?
    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Unknown,

      I think it is a good sign that this sin is bothering you. That means you have not lost your conscience.

      And you don't want to lose your conscience. But, if you continue to sin you will.

      The most important thing I can tell you is this: You must make the decision to follow Christ. If you believe Jesus is the Son of God, Your Savior, repent of your sins and ask Him to save you. If you have not taken this important step, nothing else will matter.

      If Christ is your Lord, you can call on His power to help you overcome your sins.

      You have no need to fear Hell if you have genuinely asked Christ to be your Lord and Savior and have committed to follow Him.

      I don't know what sin you are dealing with, but you must realize this important truth:

      1 Corinthians 10:13: The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.

      This is so important: Others have been tempted with similar sins and they have refused to sin. And when you are tempted to commit this sin, God will give you a "way out." You must take that way out or you will lose your conscience.

      One way you stop sinning is to avoid things that cause you to sin. For example, if you are in an immoral relationship, end that relationship immediately.

      If you have sinned against someone, repent and ask their forgiveness.

      And this is important: seek a Christian in your area, an older, more mature Christian. If you are a woman, seek an older woman. If you are a man, seek an older man. Share your sin with them and ask them to pray for you and keep you accountable.

      It's also important that you be part of a church and especially a small group Bible study so you can be growing in your understanding of God's Word. And you also need this fellowship to help you keep on track.

      But the most important step is the first one: making the decision to follow Christ, believing He is the Son of God, Your Savior. If you have not taken that important step, nothing else will matter.

      And I have prayed for you as well.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, prayers are very much appreciated I just feel desperate like God has already left me for good

      Delete
    3. He forgives and saves.
      Please seek Him because those who seek Him with all their hearts will find Him!

      Delete
  2. I enjoed your revelation to this unknown lady/gentleman about our conscience and never losing our moral compass. I fear being doomed to hell also bc He stated in Matthew - not everyone that says Lord, Lord will enter the kingdom of Heaven. I'm a good person, a born again Christian, but I sin daily. I ask for forgiveness, and I have such a hard time with my faith being strong because I was brought up in a Church of Christ type environment and our sermons were all about going to hell......never taught that God wsa a good and loving God and that he would never forsake us, just that hell was imminent. Perhaps my memory is clouded bc I'm now in my 70's but it has stuck with me all these decades that few will enter the kingdom of God. Do you have any recommendations other than what you suggested to the "unknown" person who wrote to you. I can't go to church now due to my health, but I have devotionals, watch sermons on YouTube - not as often as I should -but I do watch them, I have self-help books, i.e. just today I rec'd from Focus on the Family Praying the scriptures for your Adult Children. I have a grown son and I have 2 grandkids we raised and they are adults now. I try and pray a lot but I leave ppl out. My health has cost me cognitive impairment and my memory has been crushed so to speak, but I'm doing the best I can. I would appreciate your prayers as well. Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Judy,
      In reading your concerns, I think the important thing is what kind of sins you are involved in daily. All of us sin. None of us is perfect. But genuine believers cannot continue in intentional sins - living a lifestyle of sin (1 John 3:9).

      Now this next comment is my opinion....not Scripture...but I don't think anyone who is a weed thinks they are a weed. I believe they are too hardened and too deceived to care.

      I would encourage you to go online and find a local church where you might request visits or phone calls from a pastor or elder who would pray for you and encourage you in the Lord. And if you have Christian friends, I would encourage you to reconnect with them and ask one of them to pray for you and keep you accountable.

      And I have prayed for you, Judy. May you understand God's specific wisdom and comfort. May you sincerely repent of your sins and know the assurance forgiveness and salvation and the fullness of His love for you.

      Delete