Why Some Sins Are "Double Sins"

Sometimes sins are double trouble for us. Jeremiah 2:13 explains this concept and this 1-minute addresses it. #BibleLoveNotes #Bible #Devotions

Scripture gives us wonderful word pictures because God is eager to help us understand His truths.

For example:
"My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water."
Jeremiah 2:13

Unbelievers may waste their time on worthless purposes, and that’s evil.

But when God’s people do the same, we commit two evils.

We waste our time on worthless purposes, and we forsake God-given purposes: 

"For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10

Instead of enjoying fresh, pure water from a spring, we build leaky cisterns where water stagnates. 

Both require effort – fetching living water from the spring or building cisterns. But the cisterns require more and offer less.

Let’s ask God to show us areas of our lives where we might be pursuing worthless things and missing His purposes.
-----------------
A good supplemental reading for this devotion:
Lies Some Christians Believe: God Sees All Sins the Same

--------------------
Free Subscription to 1-Minute Bible Love Notes
Why not add some more of God's Word to your schedule by having a 1-minute devotion like this one delivered to your email each weekday. Sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes and get a free e-booklet that will help you add joy and depth to your Quiet Time. Find out more HERE.

Sometimes sins are double trouble for us. Jeremiah 2:13 explains this concept and this 1-minute addresses it.



Sometimes sins are double trouble for us. Jeremiah 2:13 explains this concept and this 1-minute addresses it. #BibleLoveNotes #Bible #Devotions

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this fresh perspective. I'm at a point in my life where I'm questioning what God wants me to do with "the rest of my life." I've already made some changes that were painful, and I'm asking the Lord for wisdom about the rest. I want to do things that truly matter, but then again, maybe I'm not clear about what matters to God. He wants us to ask (James 1:5), so I'm asking. I've discovered that following Him sometimes means "less" on our part so He can do "more."

    ReplyDelete