Expectations Mess Us Up

My blind friend taught me a very important truth about contentment. I think you will benefit when you hear it too. #BibleLoveNotes #Biblestudy

In seminary, I befriended Lani when she almost walked into a wall in the cafeteria. 

I saw that she was blind, got up to help, and we became friends. 

It was fun helping her buy Christmas gifts in the campus book store. It was her first opportunity to choose gifts without family help - her first opportunity to surprise them. For me, it was challenging (but fun) to explain things to Lani without using colors or descriptions a blind person wouldn't understand.

 Although most sighted people consider blindness the greatest disability, Lani is content and excited about life. 

That’s because contentment is largely based on expectations. Lani has never had her sight. 

On the other hand, she once told me that being deaf would be the worst thing she could imagine. I think that’s because she’s always been able to hear.

Lani's expectations are more honorable than many of mine. I expect far too much at times and confuse wants with needs. 

"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it." 1 Timothy 6:6-7

The Apostle Paul tells us there’s a secret to contentment in every circumstance. Do you know the secret? Look HERE and HERE.

Free Subscription to 1-Minute Bible Love Notes
Why not add some more of God's Word to your schedule by having a 1-minute devotion like this one delivered to your email each weekday. Sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes and get a free e-booklet that will help you add joy and depth to your Quiet Time. Find out more HERE.

My blind friend taught me a very important truth about contentment. I think you will benefit when you hear it too. #BibleLoveNotes #Biblestudy


No comments:

Post a Comment