Beware of any group that approaches the Bible in any or all of these ways.
1. They claim Scripture is incomplete or corrupted, and they possess the only pure knowledge of God.
2. They claim to have "extra revelations" which contradict Scripture.
3. Knowing that certain Scripture passages refute their beliefs, they create explanations that are historically, academically, or linguistically inaccurate.
4. They ignore New Testament passages that put an end to certain Old Testament laws (e.g. dietary).*
5. They believe that until their “prophet” or founder came along, God allowed the Gospel to be corrupted and misunderstood for hundreds of years. Included in their list of those who were unable to discern God's truth would be martyrs, missionaries, and great theologians.
6. They claim that Jesus is not God.
(John 1:1-14; 1 John 4:1-3)
7. They claim God’s purpose is to give us wealth and/or ease on earth. (Matthew 10:32-39)
*See this collection of 4 articles explaining which Old Testament laws apply to us today.
Related 1-Minute Devotions:
Is Mormonism a Cult?