But my friend said she didn’t want to hear from me again unless I started observing Old Testament dietary laws and holy days.(1)
In researching the sites she recommended as well as the sites of other "Christian sects" such as Mormonism, I've found these similar characteristics:
- Because Scripture clearly refutes their doctrines, they claim the Bible is incomplete, corrupted, or mistranslated.(2)
- They change the meaning of certain passages by using complex interpretations that are historically or academically inaccurate.
- Sometimes they add "new revelations" that change God's character or certain elements of the Gospel.
- Their claims are based on the assumption that God allowed the Gospel to be corrupted and misunderstood for most of history.(3)
(1) In the case of my friend’s beliefs, these are just 2 of the obvious verses which refute her beliefs: Galatians 4:9-12; Acts 10:9-16.
(2) Sometimes these sects only accept the words of Christ as divine.
2 Timothy 3:16-17; 2 Timothy 1:29-21; 2 Peter 3:14-18
(3) Typically, these sects are only several hundred years old. Therefore, they must believe that millions of martyrs, missionaries, and diligent Bible scholars were unable to understand the truth about God that their prophets proclaim as true.
You might also be interested in reading: Is Mormonism a Cult?