Many articles focus on knowing how special we are to God. But I think our real problem is realizing how special God is to us.
These lies encourage a focus on ourselves:
1. I can't love others until I first love myself.
This comes from a false interpretation of Mark 12: 30-31.
See Loving Self First
2. I can't serve others until I feel whole and confident.
Serving others is often the best way to gain confidence and joy (Philippians 2:3-4).
See Beatin' the Blues
3. God wants me happy.
God wants us sanctified and mature which brings joy, but not always happiness (Hebrews 12:1-3).
See Happiness Lie.
Here's 3 solutions to these 3 lies:
1. Focus first and foremost on loving God (Matthew 22:36-40).
2. Treat others as we want to be treated (Matthew 7:12).
3. Quit thinking so much about ourselves (Philippians 2:3-4).
Only when we understand how special God is to us, will we fully understand how special we are to God.