It Is Well With My Soul


1870 - His 4-year-old son dies of Scarlet Fever.
1871- He loses most of his fortune in the Great Chicago Fire.
1873- his four daughters, traveling ahead of him to England, are drowned.

After these events, Horatio Spafford sails to join his wife, the only survivor in his family, and when he reaches the spot in the ocean where his daughters drowned, he writes the hymn "It Is Well With My Soul."

When Peace Like a River, It is Well With My Soul, Horatio Spafford, HymnWhen peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

Spafford's tragic life and persevering faith produced this hymn that has comforted Christians for more than 150 years. 

Truly "our comfort abounds through Christ" (2 Corinthians 1:3-5).

Find the complete song lyrics HERE
You can listen to the song HERE
More details: Elisabeth Elliot Meets the Hymn writer's Surviving Daughter

If you liked this devotion sign up below for a free subscription and have a 1-minute devotion delivered to your email each weekday.
After signing up, you'll be sent a FEEDBURNER email. Click link in that email to start your subscription
 .

Enter your email address

3 comments:

  1. Such a comforting post. I love the hymn. Thank you for reminding me once again of the story behind it. This ministered to my heart today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mindy, I love the example of faith and the hymn as well.
      I'm blessed to know it ministered to you.
      God bless you,
      Gail

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...