The Crux of Sin: SELF

This 1-minute devotion addresses ways that we avoid taking up our cross and following Christ. It also offers the Biblical solutions.

When Jesus tells us to take up our cross in Luke 9:23-24, He immediately adds, "For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it."

Our fallen human nature loves concepts like:
  • Self-indulgence
  • Self-esteem
  • Believing we're worth it
  • Doing things our way
The Bible commands (Matthew 16:24-27):(1)
  • Self-denial
  • Self-sacrifice
  • Believing God's worth it
  • Doing things God's way

We rarely realize how strongly we're influenced by the world and our selfish human nature. I confess I often prefer self-esteem over God-esteem and self-interest over self-denial.

But then I remember the One who not only carried the cross but died on it for me.

Let's ask God to help us be true disciples, true cross-carriers. Imagine the impact we could have on our world if we did this!
--------------
I encourage you to read this 1-minute devotion about self-esteem because self-esteem philosophies encourage us not to deny ourselves:
Low Self-Esteem and Inflated Self-Esteem Have the Same Cure.

And this 1-minute devotion helps us see the loss we suffer when we live our lives selfishly: Don't Settle for a Bite of Fruit.

(1) Matthew 16:24-27: Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.  For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it.  What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?  For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done."

💙💙💙

https://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Life-Devotional-One-Minute-Reflections/dp/1087775760

I also encourage you to check out the Wisdom for Life Devotional. It contains 100 one-minute devotions to challenge, encourage, instruct, and inspire your love for God's Word: Wisdom for Life. Read the story behind Wisdom for Life HERE. And find out about the two free Bible studies with purchase HERE. You can read the first 4 devotions in the book by clicking "look inside" on Lifeway or Amazon.
 
I also encourage you to sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes and get a free e-booklet. Find out more HERE.

This 1-minute devotion addresses ways that we avoid taking up our cross and following Christ. It also offers the Biblical solutions.


Bible Love Notes

5 comments:

  1. This is so very true. Self asserts its will in such subtle ways at times. In ways that sound so right. I have to constantly remind myself to humble myself so that HE can raise me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Gail! Denying self is a so necessary to our walk as Christ-examples to the world, only as I remember it is a moment by moment decision to allow 'Christ in me' to be in control am I able to 'deny my self' and not be selfish and self centered... blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect message for Easter week! You know how to pack so much truth into your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One example of a disciple of Jesus,we mirror the burdens he carried for us, for each other. As Christians we are to bear one another's burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ.

    ReplyDelete