The Crux of Sin: SELF

Luke 9:23-24, dying to self, becoming cross-carriers
artwork: Billy Frank Alexander
When Jesus tells us to take up our cross in Luke 9:23-24, he immediately adds "For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will save it."

Our fallen human nature loves concepts like:
  • self-esteem
  • self-help
  • self-interest
  • self-contentment
  • self-indulgence
  • self-assurance
Advertisers feed our selfishness:
  • “Because you’re worth it” (L'Oréal)
  • “Have it your way.” (Burger King)
The Bible says the opposite:
  • self-denial
  • self-sacrifice
  • selflessness
  • Because He's worth it
  • Have it His Way
We rarely realize how strongly we're influenced by the world and our own fallen nature. I confess I often prefer self-esteem over God esteem and self-interest over self-denial.

But today I'm asking God to help me be a true disciple--a cross-carrier. Will you join me? Do you know the impact we could have on our world if we took up our crosses and followed?

4 comments:

  1. This is so very true. Self asserts its will in such subtle ways at times. In ways that sound so right. I have to constantly remind myself to humble myself so that HE can raise me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Gail! Denying self is a so necessary to our walk as Christ-examples to the world, only as I remember it is a moment by moment decision to allow 'Christ in me' to be in control am I able to 'deny my self' and not be selfish and self centered... blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A perfect message for Easter week! You know how to pack so much truth into your posts.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...