You Can't Take Up Your Cross When Your Hands Are Already Full

Luke 14:25-33, Giving Everything to God
"When Christ calls a man, He bids him come and die."
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I sometimes struggle to hold on to my plans, to maintain some control of my life, to dream dreams God didn't give me, to set goals He never inspired.

Most of us want Christ for our "back up plan," thinking He has come to serve us instead of the other way around. But these words stop us dead in our tracks:

"Whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple... Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost...In the same way, those of you who do not give up everything you have cannot be my disciples." (2)
Jesus 

Today let's ask God to show us anything we've refused to give up. We can't carry our cross when our hands are full.
(1) Mere Christianity  (2) Luke 14:27,28,33


Would you like to do a brief Bible study related to this 1-minute devotion? The first of 2 questions is "How can we possibly give everything to the Lord when we are fallen, sinful people?"
Go to Bite Size Bible Study HERE

2 comments:

  1. Oooh, love that line, "We can't carry our cross when our hands are full." Yep, I'm guilty of this. It's so hard to lay it all down, but God is calling me to that BIG time today. I covet your prayers, Gail. Why does life have to be so messy? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the line...Today let's ask God to show us anything we've refused to give up. We can't carry our cross when our hands are full.

    This is so true! Now, I just need to learn to empty my hands.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...