Tuesday

Marriage Modeling

Good role models for marriage, bad role models for marriage, Romans 8:28, God is greater than role models
I often read articles that talk about the importance of a parent's role model.

Sometimes they inspire fear by their assurance that parents with bad marriages produce children who also have bad marriages.

I agree that a parent's role model is important, but I have one thing to add: Some excellent husbands and wives had very poor models.

We should do our best to model a godly marriage for our children (Colossians 3:23-24). But we shouldn't be discouraged if we ourselves had poor marriage models growing up. 

God is greater than any bad influence in our lives, able to turn the worst negatives into positives if we let Him (Romans 8:28).*

Did you receive bad marriage modeling? Did your spouse? Ask God to teach you how to be a godly spouse. He can do it!

*It's true that some people will have greater obstacles to overcome than others, but with God's help they can do it! Philippians 4:13 says we can do all things through Christ who gives us strength.


While you're on my blog, I'd love to have you check out my home page where I feature 1-minute devotions each weekday. And please sign up for a free subscription using the tool on the right side bar (and don't forget to validate the Feedburner email sent to your inbox when you subscribe). Thanks!  Gail

5 comments:

  1. Funny that you should mention Doug Fields, since I mention him in my Monday post too, Gail. :)

    I feel that my parent's weren't a very good model for me in my marriage. In fact, I write about this a lot on my blog. It is so hard to overcome those bad patterns, but I like how you point us to God--asking him for the help we need. I know that's made all the difference in my marriage. Great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth. I look forward to reading your post today.
      Yes, I know it is harder when our models have been poor ones, but I definitely have seen some examples of very godly spouses who had those kind of models. I was blessed with parents who genuinely loved each other and modeled that for me, but that's not the norm for most folks.

      Delete
  2. My husband's parents are still married (happier than ever) after 56 years but I did not see a good model of a healthy marriage in my childhood. Now as we try to model a healthy marriage for our 7 kids, we are muddling through but getting better at it as we go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even those of us who had good models (I was blessed with parents who genuinely loved each other) still do some "muddling." Don't be discouraged...keep at it. God will bring beauty to it all.

      Delete
  3. Great useful information, I would sincerely request to post this useful information in Social Networking sites like Facebook so that many will be benefited through this. I believe teaching our children to find God's will in each and every simple task of life can provide them Godly married life.Prayer is the most preeminent requisite for the happy married life.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...