I'm Broken, You're Broken

A best-selling book, a false view of self, and answers from Scripture. #BibleLoveNotes #Bible

One of the best selling self-help books of all time was titled "I'm OK, You're OK." 

The premise of the 1970's book was largely unproven psychobabble, but it represented our culture's mindset when it made the New York Times Best Seller list. 

Over the next few decades, as self-esteem philosophy became increasingly popular, our culture shifted from "I'm OK" to "I'm Wonderful."

And part of this "I'm wonderful" attitude is our expectation that others should treat us as if we're wonderful. 

No wonder we see so many divorces, family estrangements, church splits, workplace problems, and neighborhood difficulties. 

The truth is this: I'm not wonderful and you're not wonderful.

I'm broken and you're broken, we are works in progress, and we have work to do (Philippians 1:6; Philippians 2:12-13). 

We need to have a realistic view of ourselves and readily repent of our sins (Romans 12:3; 1 John 1:8-10).

And we need to "be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave" us (Ephesians 4:32).

A best-selling book, a false view of self, and answers from Scripture. #BibleLoveNotes #Bible



3 comments: