When Nothing Comforts - Psalm 77

3 Things to Do When Nothing Else Comforts - Psalm 77

I cried out to the Lord but nothing would comfort me. I remembered how much better things used to be and felt abandoned by God.

This is how the psalmist begins Psalm 77

But the psalmist doesn’t stop there. He remembers God’s past faithfulness, reminds himself of God’s character, and remembers that God’s methods are not always visible.

3 Things to Do When Nothing Else Comforts - Psalm 77So next time we feel abandoned and nothing helps, we can follow the psalmist’s lead:
  1. Write down ways God has helped and guided us in the past.
  2. Ponder God’s character: faithful, loving, holy, good, just, caring, all knowing, perfect.
  3. Reread the Red Sea account (Exodus 14) and realize how hopeless things looked up to the point where God revealed His “footprints.” 
And whether we’re discouraged or not, it’s a good thing to memorize this line:
“Your path led through the sea, you way through the mighty waters, though your footprints were not seen.” Psalm 77:19
----------------------------
If you liked this devotion, sign up for a free subscription and have a 1-minute devotion sent to your email each weekday.
Have my 1-Minute Devotions sent to your email box each weekday. It's free

Enter your email address and be sure to validate the Feedburner email sent to you

15 comments:

  1. Hi Gail - Just what I needed to hear today. Thank you friend
    God bless
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts are always beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What perfect truth in God's perfect timing! Grateful for you and your ministry via Bible Love Notes, Gail! (And how cool that you've got the audio now...wow!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Gail, how can we be so short-sighted and forgetful? And we shake our heads at the grumbling Hebrews when their very words find their home in our mouths, too. Thanks for the reminder on this good day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful Gail... I just love your accent too. Fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy. It's so funny to think of having an accent. I guess I think we Americans just talk "plain." : )
      I would love to hear your Scottish accent : )

      Delete
  6. I am in a very dry season of my life right now. Sometimes it really is so hard to feel any kind of comfort,to have faith that it won't be like this forever. Thank you for the sweet,simple reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, it's a blessing to know that these principles from the Psalms encouraged you. I pray you will continue to feel God's encouragement as you walk out of this dry season of your life.

      Delete
  7. Revisiting this post and being blessed all over again to think that I can encourage myself like David by remembering all the ways God was faithful to me in the past. This does wonders for me today!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love this chapter!!and your post is so beautiful!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi I'm New to this site i just lost my mother July of this year i am having a hard time coping with her loss it's been very hard to function since she passed please help me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Vickey,
      I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my mother over 20 years ago and I still miss her so much.

      I encourage you to read the Psalms. They comfort me when I'm struggling because the Psalmist was so honest with God about his feelings and frustrations and that's what we can be too.

      God wants us to come to Him just like we'd come to a loving friend. He's always available to hear our complaints, our sorrows, and our joys.

      I pray that you will feel His comfort.
      It might be helpful to memorize this verse:
      "All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. 4 He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. 5 For the more we suffer for Christ, the more God will shower us with his comfort through Christ. 6 Even when we are weighed down with troubles, it is for your comfort and salvation! For when we ourselves are comforted, we will certainly comfort you. Then you can patiently endure the same things we suffer. 7 We are confident that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in the comfort God gives us." 2 Corinthians 1:3-7

      I also encourage you to find a good support group, whether just a Christian friend to pray with or a small group Bible study. It really helps when others share our sorrows with us.

      God bless you, Vickey.
      In Christ,
      Gail

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...