If Jesus Talked About Hell, Why Are We Ashamed to Talk About It?

If we're unwilling to talk about Hell, what does that say about us? Is it a good or bad thing? This 1-min. devotion addresses that question.

Recently, a reader told me that I should soften my teaching about Hell because no one would want to follow Jesus if they thought He'd send their unsaved loved ones to a place of eternal torment (Matthew 25:46).

It breaks my heart that people reject my Lord and go to Hell. But when I accepted the Lord, I knew about Hell, and it didn't stop me from following Jesus. In fact, it was an important part of my decision.

It's essential that we understand that we deserve Hell. Eternal life is an undeserved gift. I didn't earn it and I wasn't "good enough" to receive it. But I accepted that gift and turned my life over to the Lord.

Scripture explains that anyone who rejects Christ is "without excuse" (Romans 1:20) because everyone who genuinely seeks God will find Him (Jeremiah 29:13).

Only once did God punish an innocent man: "[Jesus] was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities." Isaiah 53:5a 

Jesus willingly offered His life and His love to save us, and He warned us boldly and unashamedly about Hell.

We should never be ashamed to speak the same truths Jesus spoke.

 

If we're unwilling to talk about Hell, what does that say about us? Is it a good or bad thing? This 1-min. devotion addresses that question.
If you've heard confused teachings about Hell, these devotions can help: 

What Jesus Said About Hell

This post concisely lists what Jesus said about Hell and also what the New Testament letters say about Hell.

Hell Is Not a Garbage Dump

A popular false teaching makes the claim that Jesus never mentioned Hell. Instead, they claim, He mentioned a garbage dump in Jerusalem. This teaching is used for two purposes: to claim there's no Hell or to claim Hell is not eternal. One verse in Matthew easily refutes both claims.

Scripture Debunks This Popular Quote About Hell

This 1-minute devotion explains why this is a ridiculous quote: "God doesn’t send anyone to hell. People choose hell for themselves."

Should We Mention Hell When Sharing Christ?

Should we forget about the "Hell and Brimstone" approach to evangelism? This 1-minute devotion shares what Scripture says.


Bible Love Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment