The High Rock

A wonderful analogy for Psalm 61's description of the Lord as a high rock. 1-minute devotion. #BibleLoveNotes #Bible

Growing up near the mountain town of Estes Park, Colorado, I learned the twists and turns of the Big Thompson Canyon by heart. 

But in 1976, the deadliest flash flood in Colorado history swept through that canyon and completely reconfigured it. The flood washed out bridges and power lines, destroying over 400 homes and killing almost 150 people.

Some people saved themselves by climbing higher up the mountainside.

When I read Psalm 61:2-3, I think of that flood and those climbers.

“From the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, for you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy.”

I’m presently dealing with a flood of adversity. Sometimes when I look at all the negative elements of my life, I feel like I’ll drown. 

But when I look to the Lord, and cast my cares on Him, I find myself on the Rock that is higher than I.
--------------
Big Thompson Flood of 1976
To read another 1-minute devotion based on this flood: Destroying Flood.

💙💛💙💛 


If you enjoy Bible Love Note's one-minute devotions, you'll love Gail's book Wisdom for Life featuring 100 one-minute devotions from Psalms and Proverbs. Read the first 4 devotions in the book on Lifeway or Amazon by clicking "look inside" 
or "read sample." Find out about the free Bible studies you can get with purchase here: Wisdom for Life Publisher's page.

A wonderful analogy for Psalm 61's description of the Lord as a high rock. 1-minute devotion. #BibleLoveNotes #Bible

Bible Love Notes

2 comments:

  1. God bless you, for the devotions you share and every soul touched by them. Praying for you today, as I often do, but especially for adversity you're experiencing- that the Shepherd will give you peace to walk through it and guide your ways and encouragement until you're through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bobbie, Thank you so much for your encouragement and for your prayers!! I greatly appreciate both.

      Delete