First John identifies six types of liars.
1. People claiming to have fellowship with Jesus but walking in darkness (1:6).
Ephesians 5:6-16 explains the contrast between worldly darkness and Christian light.
2. People who claim they haven’t sinned because they've redefined sin according to culture’s standards, calling God a liar (1:10).
3. People who claim to know Jesus but don’t obey Him (2:4). Jesus says love = obedience (John 14:21; 15:10).
4. People who claim to walk in light while hating their brothers (2:9; 4:20).* If we can’t love Christians from different backgrounds, denominations, races, and cultures, we don't know Christ.
5. People who say they love God but really love the world (2:15).
There’s only room for one master in our lives (Matthew 6:24).
6. People who deny Jesus is the Christ, i.e. the Messiah, God Incarnate (2:22). The biggest lie of all!
May we stand firm against these lies.
* While the Greek word for brothers in this passage could be used in the broader sense, most commentators understand it to mean fellow believers.
Check out the short Bible study on this devotion at Bite Size Bible Study.