Calling God "Abba Father" - Galatians 4:6

This is a truth that should give us courage and comfort. Let this 1-minute devotion en-courage you!


My mother called her father “Daddy” her whole life, even when she was a grandmother.

She hadn’t been “dependent” on her earthly father for decades, but her use of “Daddy” showed a childlike respect, sweetness, affection, and honor.

The use of "Abba" is similar.

"The Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, 'Abba, Father.' The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children." Romans 8:15-16

Abba translates “Daddy” or “Papa” – a term of endearment and childlike dependence. We also find it used in Galatians 4:6 and Mark 14:36.

God chose to relate to us as a perfect Daddy who, like good earthly fathers, gives us things that are good for us (Matthew 7:7-11), lovingly disciplines us (Hebrews 12:4-11), has compassion on us (Psalm 103:13), and cherishes us (Matthew 6:26).

When we become Christians, we have a God so approachable that we can call Him “Daddy” (Galatians 4:6). I find that amazing!
https://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Life-Devotional-One-Minute-Reflections/dp/1087775760

I encourage you to check out the Wisdom for Life Devotional. It contains 100 one-minute devotions to challenge, encourage, instruct, and inspire your love for God's Word. Read the story behind Wisdom for Life HERE. And find out about the two free Bible studies with purchase HERE. You can read the first 4 devotions in the book by clicking "look inside" or "read sample" on Lifeway or Amazon.
 
I also encourage you to sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes and get a free e-booklet. Find out more HERE.

This is a truth that should give us courage and comfort. Let this 1-minute devotion en-courage you!



This is a truth that should give us courage and comfort. Let this 1-minute devotion en-courage you!

6 comments:

  1. I was "disowned" by my earthly father at the age of 23. I had been adopted by my Heavenly Father two years later. I thank him for making me his child through Jesus, his Son. I can't imagine my life without him! He is my joy, my strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry about the rejection of your earthly father and so glad we were both adopted into the family of our Heavenly Father! : )

      Delete
  2. I have always been a, "Daddy's Girl". In fact, that's our song. Daddy's Girl, by Red Sovine. He was loving yet strict, as a child. I call him, Poppy, to this day. I am so very thankful for a loving, yet strict, Heavenly Father. Who loves me and looks out for me, at all times. Poppy and I have both, lovingly and with great respect, call Him, Big Poppa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet tribute to your heavenly Father and your earthly father, Shawn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am truly sorry, but for some reason I really struggle when people call God, "DADDY". He is not a replacement of our earthy fathers who are in totality sinners. We adore our earthly fathers but to Abba Father I go in reverence. There is a beautiful song by Bonny Duchle where she sings of the entire life of Christ and there is a phrase where she sings "Daddy Lord" and it has prevented me from playing it to anybody. AND I am sorry - it's personal and I am probably wrong but it's so cringy to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes!!! My Abba. Today has been quite tough for me, reminders of a past that was not good and finding it hard not to dwell on it too. Then I looked on Facebook and this truth is one of the first things I saw. He is God Almighty and also Daddy. Complete sovereIgnty and loving gentleness. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete