- Lust -using someone for pleasure
- Addictions- obsessive, destructive desires
- Simple pleasures- e.g. “I love hamburgers”
- Sacrificial love- e.g. a godly mother
- Romantic love- shallow or deeply committed.
Scripture explains genuine love:
♥ Agape – based on the virtue of the lover, not the worthiness of the loved one, as God’s love for mankind. Unfortunately, the word “unconditional” (not found in Scripture) has replaced the word “agape” and promoted misunderstandings about God’s love.*
♥ 1 Corinthians 13 describes perfect human love - our goal.
♥ “Golden Rule love” - not necessarily based on affection or familiarity but on the Biblical truth that human beings are created in the image of God and should be treated fairly, justly, humanely.
Let’s study Scripture to learn more about God's pure, perfect, Agape love so we can love God and others biblically (Matthew 22:36-40).
* See "God's Love is Better Than Unconditional"
* Scripture also uses two other adjectives for love phileo (brotherly love) and eros (sexual love).