"Too many Christians are content with appearing to be a bit more moral than the people around them. But the difference between a true Christian and a non-Christian is not about subtle moral distinctions—it’s the difference between being alive and being dead!"— Francis Chan
I'm afraid that Chan's first description is more prevalent in the American church than his second.
If you're unsure which description best fits you, I encourage you to:
1. Get involved with people who stimulate you to love and good deeds, helping you apply Scripture to your life, and keeping you accountable (Hebrews 10:24).
2. Read your Bible regularly and deliberately, "listening" for ways it applies to your current problems, decisions and plans (2 Timothy 3:16-17).
3. Make your relationship with Jesus a priority, not an afterthought (Matthew 6:33).
4. Pray about everything! (Philippians 4:6)
5. Ask God to restore your "first love" and don't let anyone or anything distract you from that purpose (Matthew 24:12; Revelation 2:4-5).