Wimp for the Gospel

Florence Young, Missionary to Solomon Island, Sacrifice for Gospel
Artwork: Billy Frank Alexander
I was stressed about a technical problem with Bible Love Notes. 

Then I read a chapter in the missionary biography of Florence Young, a woman who ministered in the Solomon Islands during the early 1900's. 

She was describing a time she and her companions ventured into territory inhabited by cannibals and hostile tribes. Their reason for this trip: to share the Gospel. And during this trip, they suffered from malaria, storms at sea, and primitive living conditions. 

She described a particular evening aboard ship in a life-threatening storm. Her companions were sea sick, vomiting and "clinging frantically to their berths" in which there were swarms of cockroaches. In addition, they had to dodge flying objects as the ship bounced about. 

After I read this chapter, I was ashamed. 

I am such a wimp for the Gospel. Most modern Americans are. 

When will I/we learn that the hardships of this life are so short and the Gospel so important?

See Joshua 1:9

Source: Florence Young, Mission Accomplished, YWAM publishing
While I recommend this book in the series, I do not recommend all of the books in this series.

4 comments:

  1. I'm a wimp too Gail! Thanks for this great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pray for us both, Deb, that we'll quit being wimps.
      : )

      Delete
  2. Boy, I was convicted right away. Yes, I feel pretty ashamed. I'm so comfortable in my lifestyle and fearful of losing it. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gail,
      As I said in a previous comment you wrote--I always appreciate your honesty.
      As I wrote, I am right there with you--convicted and desiring to be more faithful.
      May God give us the wisdom and strength we need to submit our comfortable lifestyle to His will.
      God bless you,
      Gail

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...