The meek will inherit the earth - Matthew 5:5

The meek will inherit the earth - Matthew 5:5
Meekness ...
not a popular word in today's self-esteem culture.

But it's a popular word in God's Book.

Sometimes translated "gentleness" (Ephesians 4:2), meekness makes a person sensitive to the feelings of others, but not sensitive to their own (i.e. not easily offended). Meek people aren't peevish, proud, or self-focused. They're God-esteemers and God-servers not self-esteemers and self-servers.

In our world, the self-assertive, self-assured, self-promoters inherit the treasures.

But there's a separate Kingdom on earth, strategically preparing to rule all of history and eternity. The meek are leaders in that Kingdom and they will inherit that Kingdom's treasures (Matthew 5:5).

Unfortunately, few of us are genuinely meek.

I'm not.

I'm too easily offended at times, too self-focused and self-dependent. I need to pray more, trust more, die to self more.

If you can identify with any of these sins, join me today in praying for meekness.

Let's inherit!
See also James 3:13
The meek will inherit the earth - Matthew 5:5
 

4 comments:

  1. Another stumbling block of mine! I am definitely sensitive towards others, but also get my feelings hurt easily and think too much of myself. Not every day, but I have prayed for God to infuse me with HIS ways and his love for others. I'm getting there; I see progress at least. But I have a long way to go. Great post today, Gail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gail,
      I actually needed to reread this devotion on meekness several times this week. I often write about things that I need to hear more than anyone!
      Gail : )

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this refreshing reminder that we are not called to conform to the ill-fitting ways of this world. We are not failures because we don't operate by the world's self-aggrandizing methods.
    May God continue to bless you in your ministry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joanie, for your encouragement and your additional insights.
      Gail : )

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...