We May Not Like All Our Fellow Christians, But We Can Still Love Them

Acts 15:36-41, Ephesians 4:31-32, Getting along with people
Are you sometimes confused by disagreements and conflict between Christians? Shouldn't Believers get along?

It's true that applying Biblical principles to our relationships will improve them, but we are still imperfect people.
-----------------------------------------------------------
To have a 1-minute devotion like this delivered to your email each weekday, sign up for a free subscription below.
---------------------------------------------------------
Paul and Barnabas, both mighty men of God, had a strong disagreement and parted ways (Acts 15:36-41).

I recently read that Elizabeth Elliot and Rachel Saint, both mighty women of God, didn't get along very well either. They ended up parting ways.*

Reading between the lines, we'd find similar situations in many biographies of great saints.

We won't automatically like every Christian and we won't work well with every Christian. 

But God never asked us to "like" everyone or work with everyone. He asks this:
"Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you." Ephesians 4:31-32

* Do the Next Thing 

If you liked this devotion sign up below for a free subscription and have a 1-minute devotion delivered to your email each weekday.
After signing up, you'll be sent a FEEDBURNER email. Click link in that email to start your subscription
 .


Enter your email address
Acts 15:36-41, Ephesians 4:31-32, Getting along with people

6 comments:

  1. another standing ovation post!! Thank-you for using your gift to God's glory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I followed your link and read the "Do the Next Thing" article. Quite interesting. Thanks for sharing. and thanks for your encouraging love notes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this problem with my own mother. She is saved and loves the Lord. For some reason she insists on lecturing me like Im two. I finally had to tell her to stop,and I haven't spoken to her since. Please understand,this is constant with her,and I've had enough. I lkve her vecause she's my mom,and I've forgiven her. I simply wo t out myself in that position avain. We have parted ways. It's sad,yes,but I can finally breathe a sigh of relief. No more belittling. I am happy now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have parted ways with my Mother. I had to. I am 54 years old and she is still treating me like Im 2. Lecturing me about past mistakes, belittling me about choices I make. Ive forgiven her,but moved on now. I need to be happy, without the pressure of her ignorance. Im sorry if that seems harsh,it is the truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously, Annette, I don't know you well enough to judge your actions. You may be doing what is right. But I would caution you that God has very, very high standards for our treatment of our parents. He expects us to "honor" them. He doesn't give this same emphasis to any other human relationship. And He adds a promise for those who honor their parents. I think one reason He does this is because He knows that it can be hard at times. We honor our parents out of love and respect for God even when we cannot honor them out of love and respect for them. It is a very huge step to quit speaking to your mother and I just want to caution you. As I said, I cannot judge your actions without knowing you, but I encourage you to be very sure you are doing what honors God.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...