When God Waits and When He Chases

Do you know why the Father didn't chase his Prodigal son? It's an illustration of God's actions toward His prodigals. This 1-minute devotion explains

The story of the prodigal son is the third of three parables in Luke 15 that reveal God's heart for the lost. 

In the first two parables, the shepherd chases after the lost sheep and the woman hunts carefully for the lost coin. Christ came to seek and save the lost, and these parables inspire us to do the same (Luke 19:10; Matthew 28:18-20).  

But the third parable is different. The son doesn't wander off like a lost sheep or roll carelessly under a table like the lost coin. He chooses to leave, and his father doesn't chase him. 

There are times when people intentionally reject their loved ones and their Christian background. In fact, there is currently a very strong movement of "prodigals" doing this (Ex-vangelicals).

In order to return, they must come to the end of themselves and recognize their spiritual poverty. The father of the prodigal understood this. 

The prodigal needed to experience the consequences of his sins without his father's help in order to come to his senses.

So, if you have loved ones who've willfully rejected their faith, pray and wait. And when they return, be prepared to run out to meet them!

I encourage you to do the Bite Size Bible Study related to this story. It takes you one step further and answers the question: Why did the Father of the Prodigal Chase One Son and Not the Other?.

These devotions are helpful when we are waiting for a prodigal to return...or waiting for anything in our lives: We Need It: Patience and Romans 12:12: Patience, Joy, Prayer.

Be sure to read 5 Things the Prodigal Understood to more fully understand what happened in the prodigal's heart before he returned home. 

Do you know why the Father didn't chase his Prodigal son? It's an illustration of God's actions toward His prodigals. This 1-minute devotion explains







7 comments:

  1. My family and I also wait eagerly for years now for the return of our sister and daughter, and chasing after her has just pushed her further away. We now know that all we can do is eagerly wait

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never realized he didn't chase him. Nice! Although I was expecting full article but this short message was powerful

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a daughter who left oddly when her dad passed & her ex stepmom kicked in to help her w arangements& managed to split up her & her sisters relationship. Daughter still stays with ex stepmom past 15 yrs to keep in her will at the cost of her sister my other Daughter & myself.weve been hurt in so many ways over & over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry about your situation. I pray that your daughter will again reunite with your family.

      Delete
  4. I am waiting for my husband that I married and not the one he is now after he had an affair and broke us down. He now hides behind offence, every kind word I say or deed I do for him he always looks for a way to day I am offending him. Please God restore our marriage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pray that your husband will see and understand what he has done and repent and restore your marriage. I'm sorry for your pain.

      Delete