Going Forth: Jonathan Goforth

Jonathan Goforth's Life Challenges Us to Ask An Important Question


China in the late 1800s wasn't safe or friendly for foreigners. But Jonathan and Rosalind Goforth left Canada and gave up comfort, convenience, and safety to share Christ with the Chinese people.

Conditions were difficult and demanding, and they ended up losing three of their children to disease. 

During the Boxer Revolution, anti-Christian soldiers beat Jonathan close to death, and the Goforths fled for their lives. But as soon as China re-opened to foreigners, they returned.

Their lives were a reflection of the words of Paul in Philippians 3:7-14:  
"I consider everything a loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them garbage ... I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me." 

Today I'm asking what things in my life I should consider "garbage" for the sake of Christ. I hope you'll be prompted to ask the same. 


Image source public domain

To read more about the sacrifices God calls us to, see the 1-minute devotions Living Sacrifices and 3 Benefits of Sacrifice.  To read about another man who lived a sacrificial life, see Outcasts.

https://www.amazon.com/Wisdom-Life-Devotional-One-Minute-Reflections/dp/1087775760

I encourage you to check out the Wisdom for
 Life Devotional. It contains 100 one-minute devotions to challenge, encourage, instruct, and inspire your love for God's Word. To find out more see 10 Reasons Why You'll Love Wisdom for LifeI also encourage you to sign up for a free subscription to Bible Love Notes and get a free e-booklet offering quiet time encouragement. Find out more HERE.



Jonathan Goforth had a name that reflected his life. You'll find his perseverance inspiring.


Bible Love Notes

No comments:

Post a Comment